Help with Broccoli

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

First year for planting broccoli, the plants are getting very tall, I thought they would be shorter. Has anyone grown these that can advise me what to expect???

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Height depends on the cultivar. Most of the commercial cultivars are less than two feet. Older cultivars, like the varous sprouting broccoli can get up to around 3 ft. Mine normally head at about 16 inches in full sun without excess nitrogen. This mornings photo of Galleon.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

3 feet....thats a lot taller than I imagined. Mine are about 2 feet now....and going strong. I wonder if I planted them at the wrong time of the year for Texas, although thats when they were for sale. Its been especially hot for April, close to and over 100 a couple days, although it is suppose to go to more normal temps after today with a cold front moving through. I keep looking for a signal of somthing other than leaves growing, but so far nothing....patience, huh?

Thanks for your input...

Kris

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow mine in the fall plant them in Sept-Dec....perhaps it's to hot and their going to seed? Mine were done heading (ones planted in Dec) and out of the ground by march 1st....I'm only one zone south of you. It's way too hot now for brocolli here (almost too hot to set tomatoes! LOL) now.
Debbie

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kris, keep them watered, I find they head up better if they don't dry out.
Andy P

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the tips, I will make sure they are watered good and then just sit back and see whats going on. This is a learning experience for me since I never grew these before. I wonder about the stores selling them in spring here in Tx. when it will be too hot for them in a few months. Do you suppose planting them in late summer would be better?

I also got some seed potatos while I was at this feed and seed store and some old fella came up to me and told me " you should have had them in the ground last month, girly" LOL..This was in March.. I wanted to kiss him for calling me "girly" instead of "old bag"..thought it was funny...

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 7:30 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are many cultivars of broccoli and some have pretty long seasons. I can only grow short season broccoli in the spring (60 days or less). Set them in early March for harvest in late April into May. Broccoli also grows well here transplanted in September. June July and August are just too hot for most brassicas including broccoli. Irish potaoes I have to plant around the first of February. My best advice would be to learn as much as possible about the various cultivars (browse plantfile) and pick one designed for early harvest, especially for spring planting. In the fall you can probably plant a short season cultivar for November-December harvest, and a long season season cultivar for January - February harvest. It depends on how low your winter temps drop. If if gets into the teens very long, broccoli has problems. It is "Iffy"for me. Got a very good January harvest this year, but can't always count on it.

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
some old fella came up to me and told me " you should have had them in the ground last month, girly" LOL

How rude.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

ah, this is Texas where the old f**ts rule...LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I've got one of them living behind our place. He always grunts disapproval at all my gardening endeavors. It's pretty funny. He didn't turn down the veggies, though.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Check planting dates with your county extension service...stores are still selling tomato transplants and its too late anywhere south of Amarillo to set out tomato plants this spring.

He was right earthling.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.