Baby bok choy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Has anyone tried this cool weather, fast-growing vegetable? I'm growing some other greens and they're doing so well I thought these might like the same conditions.

The other greens are chinese and italian rapini/turnip-top/broccoli, which sprouted very fast and are growing even faster in our 10C (average) weather right now. The package says harvest in 35-40 days. If the bok choy is similar, I'd love to try it. If I can find seed! I live close to our Chinatown so I should be able to get some.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

here it must be started in late jan or feb to grow well. Planted this time of the year it seems to bolt it is truely a cool weather kind plant.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Here it does well planted in early spring...even now. Today I noticed some volunteers had just come up.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow them over the winter when cool (but look where I live! LOL)..bok choy will put up with some light freezes and does taste really good and definitely is worth growing. My daughter prefers it in salads to regular or red cabbage. Bok Choy is a little longer than that time frame in my area--but when I'm growing it we have really short daylength hrs and I'm sure that makes a difference. Good luck and enjoy!
Debbie

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I just planted my Pak Choi 'Joi Choi' seedlings in the garden, a close relative of Bok Choi.
It's a great cold weather crop. They are nice in salads, stir fries and even in stews.
Both stalks and leaves are edible.
I've been growing it for years, very crunchy.
Andy P

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Whatever one Burpee sells is the best in my opinion.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Indy, My first pack was from Burpee then I ordered from Parks for a few years.
This year Parks didn't offer them or a few other seed I wanted and Burpee no longer sends me a catalog so I ordered from Jungs.
They are doing very well so far.
Andy P

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I found a seed packet at the HD and will plant tomorrow. The rapini is loving the site and the weather, so I expect the bok choi will too. So do my sweet peas!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.