Trip to a local nursery

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi all, I had a nice time going to a large local nursery, and "Brent and Becky's Bulbs" yesterday. It will take awhile to post the pics, but if you watch this thread today, as I get time I'll be posting the best pics. I don't know if it is OK to post their name, so will do so later if you are interested. I live in Southern Virginia, in an area called "Hampton Roads", and it is one of the larger nurseries in the area with two locations. Yesterday, I went to their Virginia Beach location, and WoW, they must have had at least a hundred varieties of maples there. I managed to snap a few pics before the skies opened up and it started to pour rain. Same thing happened at the Bulb Shoppe earlier in the day, oh, well!

Here we go! Sorry about the pic sizes, but some will be quite large...warning to the dial-up folks out there.

Group of larger Acer Shirasawanum Aurerm "Full Moon" maples waiting for new homes. With their bases, they stand about 5 to 5 1/2 feet tall, so they are about 4 feet tall so far.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is the Shishigashira (not mixed up in my head this time, LOL) "Lion's Head"

Thumbnail by largosmom

Bit closer view of the branches.

Thumbnail by largosmom

One of my new favorites 'Tsuma Gaki'

Thumbnail by largosmom

Tsuma Gaki leaves close up, bit like "paws", aren't they?

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is one that seems to want to take on a weeping form, the leaves were red on top, with some greenish ones showing through too. Quite lovely.

Oregon sunset.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Another one, bigger view of the whole small tree.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is a reddish version of 'Koto no Ito'

It is called 'Villa Taranto'

This message was edited Apr 24, 2006 6:38 AM

Thumbnail by largosmom

2 of 3

Thumbnail by largosmom

3 of 3

Thumbnail by largosmom

Looking at it now, it seems that what little I have seen of Koto no Ito that it weeps more than this variety, which has a more layered look, like a dogwood's flowers.

Here is Inaba Shidare, a tall, lacy dissectum.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2006 11:13 AM

Thumbnail by largosmom

This one is very unusual! It's leaves are all curled and a little bit rough!

It is called 'Baby Lace'

Thumbnail by largosmom

Second pic. It is shaped like billowy clouds.

Thumbnail by largosmom

One many of you know well, 'Butterfly'...Doss, this one seems greener than yours does, maybe each one differs a bit.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Closeup

Thumbnail by largosmom

These were also very lovely, 'Scolopendrifolium' (gosh hope I typed that right, but the tag is in the second pic!).

Thumbnail by largosmom

Leaves

Thumbnail by largosmom

Getting close to the finish!

Here is 'Orange Dream'

Thumbnail by largosmom

Now the big picture.

Thumbnail by largosmom

I didn't get a photo of the larger tree, but this one is very graceful, which suits its name 'Geisha' It has lots of pink in its spring color. Not sure how it matures, though.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Well, that is it for the maples, here is one of their small maple displays...there is a little 'Geisha' in the middle. The prices on these trees were in the $69 dollar range, some a bit more. I think they are 3 or 5 gallon pots.

Laura

This message was edited Apr 23, 2006 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So you made it to both nurseries! I'm so glad. Thanks for taking such great photos of the trees. Breathtaking! It's hard that you can never have enough of them. Although I think that some of us are stiving for a complete collection! LOL

The Butterfly that you photographed (a beautiful speciman, by the way) is greener than mine because mine doesn't get any direct light. While it seem to be perfectly happy it's not the best place for color.

Did you mean that Villa Taranto weeps more than Koto No Ito? I just bought a villa Taranto and it's very bushy. Something that I wanted to have in the spot I bought for it. You're right Koto No Ito is more layered and I think more graceful. But now I have them both it will be fun to see the differences. I'm a sucker for very thread-leaf foliage, I have to admit.

That Tsuma Gaki that you photographed is really a beautiful tree. Is is the one you bought?

Great nursery!

I think that Koto No Ito might weep more than Taranto, but if you have both, you can answer that better than I! I WILL have a Tsuma Gaki, but believe it or not, I came away without any trees. That was really difficult, but I promised my landscape designer no trees (yet) until my plan is in this week.

The next trees I would like to have are the Tsuma Gaki, Koto No Ito, Omure Yama, and maybe the Oregon Sunset for its color opposite my 'Viridis' in another container. However, I need to pick the right places to put them, so I'm waiting to see where she places the new planting beds. Then I'll pick the cultivars I want and either place them into the landscape immediately, or container grow them for a year or two if they are small.

I do have some pics from Brent and Becky's too, before the sky opened up there. Not sure where to post them, though!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know that I've put this in a lot of places, but here's Koto No Ito this spring.

Thumbnail by doss

I saw that pic, it is one of the reason's that cultivar is on my list! Don't hesitate to post it again, LOL! I do think it is more open than the Taranto at the nursery.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Actually the tree at the nursery may have been more mature - who knows. As it gets wider, it may droop. They had some pretty incredible specimens there. What a treat.

Wish the storm had held off a bit longer so I could have taken more pics! This was only a handful of what was there. It was definitely a treat, some people must have thought I was nuts for snapping pics while I was there.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You mean that you think that we aren't all nuts? LOL Maybe what we call a passion, other people this is nuts but then we get all the marbles... or Japanese Maples, if you will.

Pics of Brent and Becky's are in the "Bulbs" forum.

Laura

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/594985/

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I love the Scolopendrifolium. It reminds me of a Bald Cypress. I will have to check into that one some more. Thanks for sharing Laura. Now on the the Brent & Becky's pics....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.