Problems Dealing with Earthbox

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Boy...it seems that things have sure gone downhill at Earthbox. In the past my orders for new EB's or replacement covers have been filled within a few days and since I am overnight via UPS ground from Scranton, PA I've received them less than 1 week after order date. I now have a 3 week old order for replacement covers that have yet to arrive and a call to customer service connected me to a not so friendly voice with a don't bother me attitude who said the order had been "processed" but had no idea when it might be shipped. When I told her that I normally received my order within a week in the past her only response was laughter followed by and answer of "not any more". Hope it's just growing pains but boy what a complete change for the worse.

Rich

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

oh boy - I just ordered replacement covers online, and my plants will be arriving shortly... this is scary news indeed. Any thoughts for temporary covers?

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

It I'm concerned too because on 04-10-06 I ordered 5 EBs by phone and have not received eitheran e-mail or the boxes yet. It IS enough to make you want to look at a homebilt alternative.
VirginiaPesto too bad about your covers but atleast you have EBs. I ordered this Garden Patch copycat box from Madison, WI and it took 7 days from order date. Strange I ship heavier yet similar size boxes UPS Ground throughout the Midwest and most are delivered next day except those going to private homes-then it is 3 days max! Although, I think the EB is the best self-watering garden type box I've seen so far It is beginning to smell like someone boesn't want our money! LOL every one.

Bernie

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Garbage bags (white or black) with a bungy or nylon cord to keep it on. I used them on my original and homemade EB's.
Dave

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yes I'm sure that would work just fine. If you don't have the bungy cords a cheaper alternative would be to get some spline rubber that is used when replacing the screen on your storm windows. It is available at any hardware store and is basically about 1/8" diameter rubber cord that can be stretched and then tied around the EB giving a real snug fit like the bungy cords.

Rich

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Wal-Mart carries a bungie cord type thing that is made for trash cans. Would be perfect for an EB

http://www.organize-everything.com/banitinset.html

This message was edited Apr 21, 2006 7:40 PM

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, I see It's not just me! On 4/3 I ordered fifteen covers for my EBs and recieved an E-mail the next day saying order recieved and account would not be charged until order shipped. Approximeately 3days later my account was charged and here it is 4/22 and still no covers. I have always had excellent service with delivery within 7 days. It is very disheartening what is happening to a good product and negative business attitude of the Earthbox people.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I ordered new covers a while back, maybe in October - did take a while to receive them, but of course at that time of year no sweat. I've said it (posted) before and I repeat, there is something going on with this company that has turned it into a sorry outfit. Better marketing, micky mouse service; shooting;themselves in the foot...
Glad to read the post about the spline rubber for a homemade cover. Always wanted to make my own covers (thought about elastic, rubber bands tied together,
string, etc.) I will be checking out spline rubber tomorrow for future use.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Maybe y'all should post these comments on their page in the Garden Watchdog.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

I finally got my covers from Earthbox today exactly 23 days after their order confirmation so I hope the rest of you will be getting your orders shortly. It's just not the same company I've dealt with for the last 5 years and I really wonder why.

Rich

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

I got my 5 EBs and replant kit today o4-22-06. Now for an affordable plant mix solution.

Bernie

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Ordered and received 3 EB's relatively quickly but the casters are back ordered. Now I have to decide to fill and then lift to fit the casters or wait another couple of weeks...which makes me nervous. Is everything backordered with them except the EB's?

Bernie --- All the container mix is about the same price. Be sure to buy a name brand of good quality mix not the bags of top soil.

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Tplant, mixes may be the similarcompositionwise but; I disagree on price atleast in my area. For example, that Promix BX I've heard mentioned here is $31.00/2.0 CF ACE, Perfect $7.47/2.0 CF WM, MG $9.99/2.5 CF SC, New Plant Life $4.49/1.0 CF Menards. Also, I thought the consenus was not use the MG because of its addition of fertilizer. I thought I saw a link for making your own and going totally organic. One thing for sure, once mixl is put in the EB my intent is not to move them until after harvest. I've killed enough plants, wasted $$ and made many mistakes in my first year gardening; So, just trying to pick ya'lls brains.

Bernie

Bernie ---- True about some or all mixes have added fertilizer but it doesn't seem to be enough to harm the plants even after adding the required amount of fertilizer. From my experience my peppers loved Miracle Gro while my tomatos loved Jungle Growth which is as close to a home made mix as you can get. I have yet to find a potting mix without fertilizer. My tomato season is over but come fall I will try MG for some of my tomatos and see what happens. I enjoy experimenting and passing along the results.
As far as making mistakes, we all do and experience is the best teacher!

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Bernie: I've used the MG with the added fertilizer for the past 3 years in all my EB's growing tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, cucumbers, lettuce, parsley & basil with very good results and that's using organic fertilizer where 3 cups are mixed into the potting soil before planting. The amount of plant food in the MG is really negligable plus it is in slow release form so it should make little or no difference. If I'm reading your post right, anyone selling any potting mix for $31.00 per 2 CF should have the word THIEF painted on his front window in a very bright color! Just be sure as Tplant said that the word SOIL appears nowhere on the bag in ANY form and most of the time (but not always) the super cheap stuff is basically topsoil augmented with some peat or compost and will compress into a brick in the EB. I believe MG is basically peat, perlite and composted bark.

Rich

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Earthbox message board is up:
http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?action=activate;u=105;code=d460969ed4
I don't know if this link will work. But when you get there be prepared to squint.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

I used MG and so far my tomatoes are loving it. No signs of being over fertilized, plenty of buds and flowers starting on the plants. MG 2.5 cf bag cost me $12.
Dave

Thumbnail by DaveNH
Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

I spent part of the afternoon looking for Pro Mix. Yeah, it is a bit pricey but I know exactly what I am getting having used it years earlier in my cylinder garden. It has no fertilizer and I had great results last year. And I do have a bale left from last year. But that was then and this is now. Now I can't find the stuff and the place that is listed on their web site (http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/index.htm) that is supposed to carry it doesn't. So I guess I'll try MG and see what happens. It is probably the difference between awesome results and fantastic results :)

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for your responses to my potting mix questions. I used Promix last year purchased from HD and I gurantee you that I didn't pay $31.00 per bale. True, ACE's $31 is rediculous but nobody else has it. The Nurseries and Feed &Grain here haven't got in big bags yet. So far, it looks like MG from SC at $9.33/2.5 CF is my best option. But, didn't a few folk here have negative results with their moisture retention mix in EBs?

Bernie

No I don't think so? Just don't use the mix with moisture retention granules. I do recall some trying to economize with top soil and having problems with caking. In my area 3cu ft of MG costs about $10.50.

Anyone know the customer service # for Earthbox?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Tplant, here is a # I have but do not know if it is the right one:

888-865-4292

Thanks Maria but I called and they referred me to the original # and put me on hold and forgot about me. They are getting me angry as I have been on a merry-go-round with them for four hours!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

That is awful, I had a problem with them too at first, instead of sending me 4 EB only one came. When I called I had to wait for them to do anything, called again and talked to a much better associate, she had the rest of the boxes shipped right away , plus she included 12 envelopes of various seeds as an apology.. She emailed to tell me to get in touch with her if I have any further problems.

Her name is Donne Brooks: donnab@garden.org

that is if you ordered them from that place

This message was edited Apr 24, 2006 3:52 PM

Thanks Maria. I'll try...

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Maria,

It looks like www.garden.org still sells the old EB? I don't see color selections in the order form and the EB in the photo is black...

tmm

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

tmm

Thank you, tmm, It is possible I bought the old ones, do not remember being offered other colors aside black

Finnally got my covers today. The envelope was post marked 4/18? That was twelve days after they charged my account? Got a call today from one of the reps that claim they only ship the EBs and not the accessories and to call the main EB # from their brochure which I did in the beginning and they referred me to them. If you order the complete kit -- that's OK, but if you order accessories do it over the phone and document your call ! This will save you a lot of aggravation.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Update - My set of 10 replacement covers arrived today, a total of 10 days after ordering. Not perfect, but within/around the standard 10 day window that many places state for shipping. I ordered online, using thier new website. I figured it would be better than dealing with customer service based on the feedback i'd seen.

And how perfect is this - as I type this, I see the mailman coming with three large boxes... my plants have arrived from Tasteful Garden!!!

Off to plant, hope to have pictures soon!

Chris

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

So now I am steaming and my heart is racing after dealing with this company. I was hoping that my experiences would be good with them. Well, I am sad to say nope. They have charged my bank account twice for one earthbox. I called them to let them know, their computers weren't working, so they had to call me back. Then once they did, they said that they had only charged me once. I told them I was afraid not, that I was looking at my bank statement and there were 2 charges. She completely denied it and requested for me to fax her a copy of my statement!!! Can you believe that? I told her no way was I sending her my statement, she said that was the only way that I was going to get my money back. Ridiculous. I took it up with my bank and now have to wait for my bank to do research, blah, blah, blah. I want more EB's, now I am afraid to do business with this company. What a bummer.

Call back and ask for Steve Lott or go to the Earthbox forum and e-mail Steve. Mention my name and Daves Garden. He will take care of your problem promptly. Speak to no one else as they are idiots.
Ted

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

May I suggest an alternative??? The Gardners Supply self watering container works as well or better than the Earthbox. I have 5 of them and one of the EBs. I never use the covers any more, and have had no problems. I use MG potting mix, sometimes with some Black Gold, especially if I am reusing the potting mix....I typically throw away about half the potting mix from any box and replace it with Black Gold and new MG from year to year. if there were any serious diseases in that container, the entire container goes to my wife's new soil pile!!!!

Michael

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I am new with 3 EB this year, I used the cover on one with tomatoes the two other one with squash and peppers. With so much rain we have had I did not have to water but the box that was covered needed to be watered lol
I also planted some directly in the ground, they were a bit slower but now have caught up to the EB.

Maria -- You did not cover the other two EBs? Why not???? The purpose of the covers is to keep the nutrients in and weeds out? Without the covers all you have are very expensive flower pots!!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

No I did not, we have had so much rain you can not believe it . I have already picked zucchini and summer squash from the EB without cover, there is not a single weed in them'
I wanted to know the difference, between covers, no covers and just in the ground. If you think they end up being expensive flower boxws so be it, am having fun anyway trying different ways, lol

My point being so much rain! If you leave the covers off you may experience root rot and mold which zuchinni and cucumbers are highly susceptible. The covers also maintain a proper amount of moisture for the soil whereas it will not be overbearing to the root system. Roots can drown without air. I know the amount of rain you have had as I've been following the news.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I know what you are sayingh and this is good to knowe however, at this point it is much too late to put covers on it, but I thank for your adviseas I said before just trying differen things, Oh BTW the squash that I planted the regular way have molds on some leaves but not the EB, should I remove those? most pf them are on the ground

No! Use Ortho Garden Disease Control.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I will, thanks, you are so very nice and helpful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.