Robelenii Triple

Saint Petersburg, FL

we have just purchased a home that has several Roebelenii Triples placed around the pool. I have noticed on one of the trees a "Yellowish Clump" of little flowers that have pollen all over them. The clumps of these lil flowers are maybe 6-7 inches in diameter. The lil flowers fall off very easy.

Here is my question: Can I take these clumps of flowers and knock them off to be used to start NEW TREES? If not is it best to let them run their course or cut them off? I am HOPING I can use them to start more trees.

Any response and information would be GREATLY appreciated.

YardHEAVEN

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

You can't grow more plants from the flowers, unless you have some bees fertilize them and you get some good seed. It won't hurt to cut them off, either, though. This plant is cheap enough that you probably would be better off buying more (you can get 1 gal seedlings for usually $3-$10 which already have 2-4 years of growing head start over seeds).

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks for the response. Out here I haven't found any that small. The ones I see at like Home Depot and other nurseries are about 4ft tall and they run $90 to $130. That would be nice to find them small and cheap.

Thanks again

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow, how areas of the country differ. Here each of the Home Depots they have literally hundreds of 2-5 gal plants, all for about $12 each.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Bob,
Maybe mine isn't the same? I looked at another posting with pics on here and they sure look the same. The 3 stocks on each tree avg. in diameter like a 7-9inches maybe. The tallest part of the palms is probably 7-8ft tall. My scanner is down so I haven't been able to get any pics on here yet. This backyard is like Paradise. There is so many different types of Palms & plants. We have added quite a few things also. My next big project is a Japanese garden area with a pond etc. I'm gonna go search again and be sure what we have been talking about is Roebelenii Triples. Sound like it to you??

Thanks

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sure, but the types of Phoenix roebelleniis usually sold nowadays are the solitary forms, but multiple seeds in one pot (3 is a common number, but 2-5 is the norm). There is a 'true' suckering form of roebellenii (called Reasonorii) but they are rare and less sought after (make large, difficult to prune, clumps of palm).

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Bob,
Here is a pool shot and on the right side you will see the Palms I was asking about. I appreciate all your feedback from earlier.

thanks

Thumbnail by YardHEAVEN
Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Bob,
Check this pic out this is the Tiki Bar/Hut I just built and attached to the pool deck. this was before the thatching arrived. Yeah I payed too much for the Thatching too ! lol

Take care!

Thumbnail by YardHEAVEN
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Those are Phoenix roebelleniis on the right... looks like a Majesty on the left

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Bob,
Thanks I thought they were roebelleniis on the right.

See you around the mssg boards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.