Brian Williams, what is this and where can I get it?

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

I saved this a while back because I loved it so much. The foliage is just so incredibly gorgeous! Please let me know. I really appreciate it. My e-mail is monicamariebrown@netzero.com.

Thank you!

Thumbnail by BlueDawn

I happened to just see this plant today in the plantdelights garden catalog, where it is described as Canna 'Stuttgart', a new canna hybrid.

Louisville, KY

It is stuttgart was found in stuttgart Germany in a botanical garden. It apparently is a variegated form of Omega. If you would like contact me I will let you know more on were to get one. THANKS

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I bought one of these at my local garden center. It's in a series of bulbs being marketed under the Biltmore Estate label.

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Make sure you plant this in part shade if you are in the warmer zones. This sucker burns like crazy. I have mine in full shade and it still burns. Each year I say I'm going to compost it. Mine never looked like the one in your picture either. LOL ;)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

On the Plant Delights site, it indicates that adding Epsom Salts to the soil helps to minimize burning on this canna. It's a shame that this one gets sunburned so easily.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks BlueDawn for starting this thread. After reading it last night I knew I had to have one. So I went to my web site where I bid on things I want and they had two as a Buy Now. And guess what, I did. I bought them. I am hooked on variegated plants. So now I have to worry about them sun burning but I will use ES on them to see if it does help.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am planning on putting mine in part sun between a couple of maple trees. If that does not work out, I guess they go to the shade garden. LOL

Louisville, KY

The one in the picture was in almost full sun. Or as I would say Kentucky sun which is different than Miami sun. It did have a few bananas that shaded it later that season. I get a bit of leaf burn on it but not enough to bother me as long as the water is thrown on it and yes epson salt will help. It does not burn near as bad. The problem I have in full shaded area is they get so tall that they fall over near the end of the season. 7 to 9 feet stuttgarts falling is not a good thing. But they do come back every year here up against the house foundation.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

In some cases almost whole white plants grow for me. But they do burn up easily in the sun.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

brian, how much e. salts and can they be staked with bamboo? do they grow that tall the first year?

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I have mine is total shade, and they still burn. My initial attempt was to have a fabulous Aye Aye Banana (Ae-Ae, Ay-Ay) but the cost was more than I wanted to pay...so went with the Stuttgart Canna instead for the same effect. I don't really use them for their bloom, I'm looking for the foliage color.
MerryMary

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's an awesome canna! Luv the variegation on the leaves. Saw a couple of people that had them last year. Been trying to find it this year and can't so far.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow! Very pretty!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Brian, could you shoot me an email and let me know where I can get one also?

Orlando, FL

Lowes and Walmart have it here in Orlando. Fran

Almost always on Ebay as well.

Brent & Beckys bulbs had them. also, Eflowergarden had them. I have bought from both of them, have been 1,000% happy. I hope they're still in stock.

I checked out Brent and Beckys and they still have them in stock.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I ordered three from this co-op -- http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/589301/
Can't wait to get them!

I need to check the coop forum a little more often, I didn't realize they had these to buy. Oh will I got me two paid a little more but I wanted them and now I have them.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I know this is an old thread but I had to mention that I am absolutely in love with these plants and am trying to find some I can afford. I was looking on how to use epsom salt on plants when I found this thread. WOW. Those pictures are wonderful and that single leaf picture by bwilliams is STUNNING.

Tammie

still looking for info on using epsom salt

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

be carefull where you get your rhyzomes from Beckey and Brents Bulbs have had trouble with Virus. so has wal mart lowes and home depot. and some of the Stugart being sold are not stugarts. heres a place you can trust http://www.karcheskycanna.com/. i get seeds and plants here . i think they have a Stugart up in e bay now its under the name beloved1 paul

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

That is most certainly a beauty! Love the leaves!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here is a picture of my Stutts. It hasn't flowerd but it's doing well in this location.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes the Biltmore labeled bulb I bought has no white anywhere...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I have another one that has quite a few leaves that are almost white, but these ones turn brown quickly.
:) Donna

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

You know what? The garden center where I work simply keeps them in water along with Canna glauca and others aquatics and they seem to like it.
I am growing mine in a peat moss based potting soil this year, keeping it constantly moist and in part shade. If it doesn't work well this year; I will be trying to keep their feet in water next year and it will be their last chance.
Its really hard to give up on them since some people post wonderfull pictures... there must be a secret out there LOL!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

People grow tons of cannas in my area. So many that, for the most part, are neglected and bunched up so thick they thrive purely on their own. However, if folks around here could see some of yall's pictures, it would shame'em into doing something about theirs. I don't believe I've seen anyone around my neck of the woods with variegated leaves. That's on my wish list for sure. Great pics!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

the best time to grow a Stugart Canna here in florida is in the early fall to early winter it does not burn very much at all paul

Gilbert, AZ

Love the leaves. Do you think they would even grow in AZ in full shade.
Linda

as an update, the rhizomes from eflowergarden came all green. They sent me additional rhizomes but the also came all green. I doubt they are stuttgart, especially since I couldn't resist buying one on ebay and that one had the variegation I expected.

That business about the plant "growing into its variegation" has to be bogus. However, I will post here if in fact they come back like they're supposed to next year. If not, out they come!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Mine from B&B is all green too. Maybe the variegation comes with age? OR Maybe they aren't Stutt.

My new "Stuttgarts" are burning easily even in most shade. They get about 2 hours of sun but it would be noon sun. I am putting up sun block fabric between the eve of the house and the 7 ft fence they are next to and see how they do. I have only had them a couple of weeks and they are growing. I am hoping they get their roots established and will burn less when they can take up more water. I soak the area daily and sometimes twice a day to help them out.

Tammie

Mine are in total shade and burn anyway, but my leaves are almost always close to totally white, very little green.

I got my five from egarden.com, and all are green. Only 3 survived-other 2 rotted. The three were very weak and spindly in shade, so moved to 6 hours a day sun.
They are much stronger growth now, getting tall and very healthy looking-BUT, no white on them and no blooms yet, even tho all my other cannas are blooming like crazy. I am going to take digital photos and send to egarden.com., along with copy of invoice. Do you suppose they'll replace them with the "real" thing, next spring?
DeannaV

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Deanna, I got the same from eflowergarden.com and yes, they are all green. I only have 2 survivors out of the bunch. I have emailed them 4-5 times and have had no answer. I really need to call them and should do that today. I believe vossner had the same problem and got a replacement from them. She should be along soon to let you know.

I'd call....email doesn't seem to get responses!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Boy, when I had mine it never looked that good. I hope you can find one that pretty. Like everyone else shade is the only place I would try to grow it.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Got two orders from the Co-Op. Was lucky to have ONE come up as Stuttgart and the rest are Lucifer. Ingrid is aware that their supplier sent the wrong thing and is trying to find another supplier who will send a supply of Stuttgarts. She knows that most of us saw no Stuttgarts. You will know it right away as they come up variegated ~ there's no waiting to see.

Well, I got the sun shade fabric up yesterday and my stuttgarts are already looking a little better. I even have one that so far is growing solid white.. only one leaf so far and the base of the stalk barely has a green tint to it. I am not sure but it would be strange to see a solid white. It may grow more green as it puts out more leaves. It is still very small and I have a potted palm tree sitting next to it to protect it even more from the sun. My mother said that area of my garden has never looked so good in all the 16 years I have lived here. I will take pictures when they are big enough to actually show something. Here is the area after I put up the shade fabric. The one putting out the white leaf is barely visible on the bottom right... in the sun. It looks like a thin white stick but put out a new leaf after the picture was taken.

Tammie

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.