I really blew it today

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Literally.

I started WS in Dec. In Jan. I developed back and leg pain and weakness. After extensive work-up cause has been settled as my uterus and a hysterectomy recommended. However, in all this testing, a liver tumor was found. My hysterectomy has had to be delayed for a liver resection, scheduled next Wed. Four to 6 wks after that, I'll have a hysterectomy. I had visions of 80 jugs of flowers dying in their jugs on my patio.

Today I fell. My painful week leg just gave out on me. After XRays and 3 hrs in an ER they told me it's a bad sprain, gave me Vicodan , sent me home with crutches and told me to see an orthopod.

Those babies are gonna be goners. I'm just not meant to have them.

Karen

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Karen,
I am so sorry for all of the trouble you are having right now. I know that things seem really bleak but is there anyone you trust that can look after your sprouts and maybe even transplant them into your garden.
I wish I lived even remotely close to you I would come and look after your treasured sprouts! Sorry I can't offer a better solution. Hope you feel better soon.

Michelle

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh Karen, that's just too awful! Is there any gardening group in your area that could help with the seedlings... maybe in exchange for some of them? You have more than enough on your plate without fretting over your seed babies. I am just so very sorry!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Karen-- So too bad about your health issues and the sprain, now, too. Hope today is going better.

I sent you an e-mail --maybe I can help out a bit with some of your seedlings for a while-- I can't bear to see all of your Wintersowing at risk while you take care of your health. t.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Karen, all good thoughts to you. I'm so sorry this sprain's now adding to your troubles. And I understand that the seedlings are important to you, even in light of the bigger stuff going on. I do hope you can find some help nearby...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry to hear about all the medical issues that you are dealing with! I hope that a friendly DGer that lives close to you will be able to help with your WS seedlings. Please let us know how you are doing.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Karen - wishes for a quick recovery are in my thoughts for you!!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Karen, I'm so sorry you have this on top of all your medical problems. My thoughts are with you too!
Dave

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you all, and thanks for the personal emails. I have been pretty much confined to the bedroom (2nd floor) with no computer access. Just can't do the steps. My husband has to carry me part way and some I did on my butt. I have been fitted with an orthopedic brace for my ankle. It goes from my toes to my knee and is very heavy; my leg has been weak from the nerve compression and dragging this brace is really tough with a weak thigh. I'm walking with a walker. Seems hard to believe that a few weeks ago I was a healthy 53 year old without a care in the world.

I'm not really comfortable sitting here either so will be signing off. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts. My liver resection is on Wednesday; not sure how extensive or easy the surgery will be. In any case, thanks again for all your concern and I'll check in again when possible.

Karen

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Godspeed Karen!

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Good Luck Karen....HM

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

You will be in our thoughts Karen!

Michelle

Karen--hope all goes well and you are back in the garden before too long. t.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Update: I survived my liver resection , done on Apr 26. Still confined to 2nd floor with no computer access. Can't do stairs with ankle brace and not allowed to take it off. Belly pain still an issue, too. My liver tumor turned out to be a benign lesion, a sclerosed hemangioma. Just on my way to 1st physical therapy session for ankle.

My husband has been a wonderful nurse to me, staying at my side around the clock for 1 1/2 weeks, even in the hospital. Poor thing's working himself to death. He's also kept WS babies alive and planted out many of them. I just can't get out to see them.

Thank you all for your good wishes and I will post again when able. I do miss DG and the WS forum. Funny thing is my husband bought a new laptop about a month ago which is still in the box- just no time to think about it. Maybe he'll get it set up soon and I can use wireless network to check in from bed

Karen

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Karen, I am so glad you are doing well. I hope you get the wireless setup so you can keep everyone updated. My thoughts are with you

Karen--great to know your health issues are beginning to be resolved and you are benefitting, no doubt, from all the attention from your wonderful nurse! We wish you a speedy recovery! t.

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Karen,
That is great that you are starting to feel a little bit better. Wishing you a quick recovery and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Michelle

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Karen

The wireless option with the laptop has made all of the difference for me. I'm sure your hubby is busy beyond belief....mine has to nurse me through some bad phases occaisionally. So....if you feel up to it, maybe you could call the local provider...Sprint, or Comcast, or whomever and get the ball rolling as respects what you need. What we have is a modem and a router. The modem hooks to the phone line and the router hooks to the modem and has antennae. If the laptop is new...it likely has a wireless card built in already but even if it doesn't - there is probably a slot on the side that a card can slide into. I'm no techie...but will be happy to share what info I have if you decide to unpack the LT. Checking into DG on chemo nights via makes it all go better for me and maybe it will for you as well. I am so glad your tumor is benign. HM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Karen, Yea!! Good news! Keep up the good work! I'm so glad to hear of your progress and that you have such a supportive husband!
Dave

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Karen, so glad you're doing okay. God bless.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers too.
Shirley in Maryland

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen: So glad to hear that you are being to feel a bit better. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful "nurse". Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.