To bridge or not to bridge...

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

That is the question. Our creek and pond went in two years ago. The guy I hired to install my plan wanted to build me a cedar bridge right across the middle. I declined, fearing my woodsy native yard would gain a Disney-esque eyesore. Since then, though we have really enjoyed the sound of water and frogs just outside our back door, when we entertain, we find that everyone pretty much stays on the patio. This makes it rather crowded, and people don't walk down the steps or take the path at the top of the creek to cross into the yard beyond.
Questions:
1) Is there a way to construct a bridge that will look like it's an integral part of the creek that people will actually use? We've tried logs, driftwood, and flat rocks - none were used by people (dogs, cats, raccoons and foxes liked them though).
2) To invite people into the larger yard, should there be another patio/flagstone area over there to give them a destination?
3) Where should we put the bridge/crossing area?
4) Does anyone have a photo of a unique bridge that would fit this setting? I live in fear of husband installing something that looks like it belongs at a putt putt golf course.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumbnail by galega
This thread has 79 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!