PICTURES OF MY BACKYARD ORCHARD

Brooklyn, NY

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ggrunsfeld/album?.dir=/2178&.src=ph

hERE ARE SOME PICS i JUST SNAPPED OF SEVERAL DIFFERENT FRUIT TREES GROWING IN MY TINY BACK YARD-
i TOOK THE PICS IN a hurry so they r not of the best quality and I missed some of the trees in bloom- still i wanted to show that people with tiny gardens can still grow a bunch of fruit- my garden is about 15 ft by 20 ft

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I may be wrong, but since you mentioned dwarf only once, I'm assuming the other trees are standards. Looks like you didn't take the ultimate size of your fruit trees into consideration when you planted. In a few years, your trees will be competing for root space and sunlight. You will have to thin out some trees so that the remaining trees can continue to grow and thrive.

Planting trees too close to the house can cause all kinds of problems. The scariest photo is that of the fig. Knowing how big they can get, I'd hate to think of what could happen to your foundation in a few years.

Brooklyn, NY

actually all the other trees are semi dwarf and the wall next to the fig tree is not part of my house but a wall at the end of my garden.
thanks for the concern though!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

They look really great. Jealous!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

gg, very impressive for that amount of garden space. I garden in the country , actually have 5 1/2 acres but only garden on 2 1/2 acres, not enough water or time for any more. I really encourage you in your small garden efforts, and send more photos.

DonnaS

Brooklyn, NY

thanks donna and Zeppy-
I actually have 2 more cherry trees, two grape vines, a couple more blueberries, and a couple of blackberries, some strawberries, a passion fruit vine, some herbs, all growing in my garden- when the fruit comes in, i'll take some better pictures and post- as u may be able to tell, im pretty obsessed with gardening edibles!

p.s., i also have a golden tranparent gage plum tree on reserve for next spring!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

What a wonderful album ! I definately have fruit envy. I'm getting too much shade to plant what I want.

Brooklyn, NY

Billy- I had a humongous maple tree in my backyard when I moved in 2 years ago- I spent $1800 to reduce it to a stump- I still only get about 5-6 hours sun but hopefully it will be enough

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We get too hot in July and August to sacrifice a tree. Especially when I'm mowing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.