low spreading evergreen for hill

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus mugo 'Valley Cushion'

(ACS) "Low, slow growing, flattened growth, short needles; Cushion or Bun Shaped."

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus mugo 'Green Alps'

(ACS) "Dwarf: 1-6" (8-15cm) per yr., 3-6' (90cm-1.8m) at 10 yrs; Spreading."

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper'

(ACS) "Size: Intermediate: 6-12" (15-30cm) per yr., 6-15' (1.8-4.5m) at 10 yrs.; An intermediate growing prostrate or ground covering plant that has nice blue-green needles during the growing season and turns a yellow to golden color during the winter months. " (Sun)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Another shade tolerant plant:

Tsuga canadensis 'Bennett'

(ACS) "Mounding, Arching, or Weeping."

Thumbnail by conifers
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

WOW, what a choice I almost wish my hill was bigger I did say almost. One of the things I have noticed is that I don't necessarily like the hills where there is only one kind of evergreen. My flower gardens are a riot of color and just one color might be a bit tame for me.

Is there a best time of year to do the planting? I was thinking of fall if that works. Over the weekend my husband and I got two new flower beds ready so once planting season is here I will be busy planting them.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Dax -- terrific assortment!

Guy S.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you Guy.

Hi zenpotter.

I was going and going and then the website stopped working all of a suddon.

I'll answer your question but I still have a few more photo folders to go through.

The answer as to when you should plant is fall would be fine. I've been told that the best time for conifers is spring and I believe deciduous material (already leafted out and in a container) is fall, but still I plant at all times of the year as long as the soil is workable and also, I see landscape companies putting in entire landscapes during December if weather allows, i.e.

I also wanted to say somewhere along the line that any Tsuga's (Hemlocks) can be sheared so in reality any miniature or dwarf would work quite well. Many having white-tipped new growth during spring for example. 'Gentsch's White' a real easy to find cultivar and has this trait.

So, I'll post some more Hemlocks and whatever else I come across.

"Mix it up!" You know what it's all about zenpotter.

Dax

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll take one of each!

Scott

Thornton, IL

Dax - great pics. I think a variety would look great. I guess I was thinking that zen wanted just an alternative to green grass, for erosion control and no steep mowing. Don't forget to include chamaecyparis pisifera Filifera 'Aurea' then, for color contrast!

Pauline - here is a photo comparison of bluegrass and buffalograss (Buchloe dactyloides). www.ext.colostate.edu

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 2:02 PM

Thornton, IL

Sorry about that, posting links not my forte. Try going to Plant-talk and then Lawns under the link I added above. Then, under buffalo grass, you can click on the picture to enlarge it.

Here goes another try! http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1512f1a.html

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 2:06 PM

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi PrairieGirl, That buffalo grass looks horrendous! Looks like a mat of weeds!

Also, I've been linked to this thread to suggest some stuff, so hence the conifers and th'at's what I do (for the most part). I do agree that grasses, alpines, Lavenders, "lots of stuff" would be a great mix, as well. Sorry though about my comment! I just don't see any buffalo grass happening in my future!!!

I've been sidetracked. I'll add a few more photos just because...(you never know!)

Dax

Here's Tsuga canadensis 'Fantana'

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll also go back and find a photo of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea' when I get a chance...otherwise that'll throw everything out of wack at the moment.

Here's Pinus resinosa 'Don Smith' (and my mom Sherrie). 'Bickelhaupt Arboretum' Clinton, IA Oct.05

Thumbnail by conifers
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

PrairieGirl that compairison is really great. I was trying to compair them in my head and that just didn't work.

I am getting so many wonderful ideas I can get all of the hills covered and have a great time doing it. I tend to work in threes what ever I do. So may just go with three of something in the first area I showed and then move on. I will be using something like the buffalo grass as a path between gardens in the back yard.

I had better make my list and see what is available locally.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Tsuga canadensis 'Stewart's Gem'

(ACS) "Dwarf: 1-6" (8-15cm) per yr., 3-6' (90cm-1.8m) at 10 yrs; Dwarf, tight wide globose with cinnamon tips."

Thumbnail by conifers
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Dax, Your post came in while I was typing. I like the buffalo grass it will fit in well with the new native garden I am adding.

More nice photos from you.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea'

(ACS) "Intermediate: 6-12" (15-30cm) per yr., 6-15' (1.8-4.5m) at 10 yrs; A golden-yellow thread-leaf form that becomes a small bushy tree in time."

(You can prune/shear these as well). Actually, now that I think about it you probably would be much better off with Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mops' which I don't have a photo of. (Much better plant for your situation though)

Good luck finding this stuff! You may need a genie!

Regards,

Dax

The information for Chamaeparis pisifera 'Golden Mops'
(ACS) "A low growing, dense form of 'Filifera Aurea' with brighter color, appears to be reliably stable; AKA: Cham. pis. 'Mops', Cham. pis. 'Filifera Golden Mop'; Mounding, Arching, or Weeping; Dwarf: 1-6" (8-15cm) per yr., 3-6' (90cm-1.8m) at 10 yrs."

Then a photo of a beautiful and old specimen of pisifera 'Filifera Aurea'

Zen, good idea on the buffalo grass. Maybe I'm way off in saying what I said!!!

Anyway, cheers everyone!

Thumbnail by conifers
Thornton, IL

Hey Dax - I meant a variety of conifers, so it's all good. You're right 'Golden Mops' would be a better choice, as far as being a low-grower. I couldn't think of the name, remembered the color. Buffalo grass is not for everyone. It was helpful to me to see a field strip planted at the college campus I attend. The link I (finally) posted is a pretty good representation of what it looks like in flower, it's kind of bumpy and browner than what we're used to seeing anyway.
But, you don't have to mow it much or water it once it's established, and it's really easy to get out of beds it may creep into, since it spreads by surface runners.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

One of the sites where I was checking on 'Golden Mops" had this on the page.

"Women wear trousers
To trail round the shops;
Women in trousers
Wield brushes and mops."

-Cicely Fox Smith
(1882-1954)

You sure run into a variety of things while looking up plants. I have so many to check on who knows what I will learn.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Zen, you put those trousers on one leg at a time. :>} Ken

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Ken, Thanks for the reminder. Pauline

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Up there on the tundra where she lives, she needs those trousers!

Anyone ever wonder why we have so many participants from Minneapolis, eh? Are they all zone-voyeurs, trying to experience a decent climate via the rest of us? (Of course, the rest of us all look with envy at Growin . . . )

Guy S.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Guy, we put those trousers on over long underwear (silk for we ladies).

That is me alright a zone-voyeur, what else can we do when all bundled up? It is getting close to the time of the year when we can shed a few layers and then we can move enough to work in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.