hydrangea cuttings..........please advise

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i just got 2 new hybrids of hydrangea. i have never used this plant before and don't know that much about them. it was in the 90's yesterday in texas. what i thought was that i would trim these plants pretty heavily before i put them in the ground so that the roots could grow this year. and since i was trimming i wanted to use the cuttings to make new plants. what is the best way to get hydrangeas to root? is it more difficult when it's hot? would it be better to wait till the fall? or next spring? do hydrangeas need anything special? the plants i bought are lady in red and light-o day (variegated) in case you need to know that. i was planning on giving them morning sun. also, i think the soil is alkaline here. lady in red says flowers will be pinkish turning burgundy. is that likely what i will get with alkaline soil?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Alkaline soil = pink flowers.

You can take cuttings and push each into its own pot. Then put the pots together in a rubbermaid container and wrap the container in a large clear plastic (leaf) bag. If you have 90s outdoors, then move the container indoors. Light is not critical now.

I would trim the leaves back on each cutting. Each cutting should be 4-6" tall. You can get several cuttings out of one branch.

See picture below

As you can see, I have cut one branch into four seperate pieces and removed lower leaves. Then I stuck each cutting in it's own pot. I then trimmed wide / large leaves back. I put these 4 pots together in a rubbermaid container (you can use a cardboard box) and make sure the soil is damp, not dry. If you use a good quality potting soil, you can water it thoroughly and then let it drain. I wrap the container in plastic (clear leaf bag) but make a few slits in the bag.

I check the pots every week and let in new fresh air. I also water regularily as needed.

Note: rooting will happen in 30-45 days. In warm soil it will happen sooner. I take my cuttings in October in New Jersey and they are rooted by first frost. You can take cuttings now.

Hydrangeas root very easily

In your zone, they will probably be rooted and ready to go outdoors sooner. I would give them full shade in TX.

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

do you use rooting hormone? you just stick them in the dirt? will they root in a glass of water? those plants are so beautiful. can i use miracle grow potting soil with the 3 mo. feeding stuff? seed starting medium? spaghnum moss? should i place the plants that are covered with plastic bag on top of the refrig.? i have a plant stand that sits in front of an east window. would that be too hot to keep them there? the other handy reliable place is the kitchen counter. hahaha thank you for all of your help.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I know not everyone has a cold frame, but I just stick my cuttings in my open cold frame, in the amended soil. I do not use any rooting hormone. They root very easily, and are ready to plant out the following year. The cold frame is in filtered shade.It is beside our house, so it is protected in the winter.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i am going to give it a shot. i went ahead and got them in the dirt yesterday. AND IT RAINED LAST NIGHT................ONLY THE THIRD TIME THIS SPRING. that was lucky for me and my plants. how long do you think it will be before they have roots? and if you just put them in an outside cold frame, do you cover it with plastic to keep moisture in? or is the soil you have just easy to keep the moistrure in?

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I never cover mine , but I do water them frequently. Since it is sheltered, it doesn't dry out too fast. I have a mulch in the frame, too. I have no idea how long it takes them to root. When they start showing new leaves I know they are 'taking', but I wait until the following spring to move them. I'm getting hydrangeas all over the place from my cuttings. :-)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

it is raining here now. the third time this spring. i am going to take cuttings tomorrow. wish me luck. barb THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELPFUL COMMENTS!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.