Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: hydrangea cuttings..........please advise, 1 by kdjoergensen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kdjoergensen

In reply to: hydrangea cuttings..........please advise

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of hydrangea cuttings..........please advise
kdjoergensen wrote:
Alkaline soil = pink flowers.

You can take cuttings and push each into its own pot. Then put the pots together in a rubbermaid container and wrap the container in a large clear plastic (leaf) bag. If you have 90s outdoors, then move the container indoors. Light is not critical now.

I would trim the leaves back on each cutting. Each cutting should be 4-6" tall. You can get several cuttings out of one branch.

See picture below

As you can see, I have cut one branch into four seperate pieces and removed lower leaves. Then I stuck each cutting in it's own pot. I then trimmed wide / large leaves back. I put these 4 pots together in a rubbermaid container (you can use a cardboard box) and make sure the soil is damp, not dry. If you use a good quality potting soil, you can water it thoroughly and then let it drain. I wrap the container in plastic (clear leaf bag) but make a few slits in the bag.

I check the pots every week and let in new fresh air. I also water regularily as needed.

Note: rooting will happen in 30-45 days. In warm soil it will happen sooner. I take my cuttings in October in New Jersey and they are rooted by first frost. You can take cuttings now.

Hydrangeas root very easily

In your zone, they will probably be rooted and ready to go outdoors sooner. I would give them full shade in TX.