Spring Bulbs - Pictures and Discussion: Part VII

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Voss--Great color echo, your're right. Quite bold and may have to tone it down with something. t.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

bummer, my pics were not good. but here is something--I think it is some kind of allium. anybody know?

Thumbnail by vossner
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

My allium are just coming into bloom, too.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

vossner, it could be A aflatunense

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image?query=%27allium+aflatunense%27

kenton, the stubby thing next to the Dracunculus is the Musa sikkimensis I left in the greenhouse, minus its stem!

Narcissus Salome, showing one just opening as yellow, the other open 2 days, and the rain drops are real!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Taken 4 days later, the one on the left being the oldest of the group

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the form of Salome. Some that I moved here from my old garden last year bloomed and were much more peachy in color in this woodland setting. They were in quite a bit of shade before, more filtered now, but lovely.

Beautiful group of Princess Irene! My alliums are just budding; are'nt they fun!
And I've got to get Toronto this fall. Coral and salmon colors are what I'm in to now for a new island of the cottage garden :)

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

JamesCO: That Black Hero is stunning. Thanks for sharing. I've added to my fall list to buy!
Daisygrrl

Denver, CO

Andy, there are a ton of greigii Tulips, and Pictures are too difficult to ID color. I planted the 'Toronto' lat last winter, I expect it will bloom early with the rest of my greigiis next spring.
Tabasco, that certainly is 'Princess Irene,' I don't think there is any tulip quite like it. I like her fragrance.

I ahve not found a seed source for 'Delta Pure Red,' Thank goodness one of the local centers carries many of the Delta series in the fall. I have not seen any seeds forming on plants until this spring- but they are not matureing quite right. No worries; I'm watching those liitel pods like a hawk. Let me see what I can do about that scheme idea, Voss.

T. 'Flaming Parrot' has been less gold and more pale-yellow than what I've seen elsewhere in years past. It may have been the timing on the heat this spring.

There is a T. 'Lambada' in the garden now that jsut kills me. More pictures in a few days.
Kenton

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kenton ~ I think you're right about the Queen of Night tulips. I have some others that are much larger but they were large bulbs to begin with. Isn't the center gorgeous?

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've never seen a polytepaled tulip before. Must be the year for mutants ~ I have 2 fasciated lilies, also.

Sorry, it rained today and the tulip is a bit messy.

Thumbnail by Moby

Kenton I meant to say I love the Flaming Parrot, it doesn't look real gasp! N Bellsong is a little cutie, and PINK.

Moby I had Queen of the Night with Shirley in a tub, took them out for the summer, come autumn they were mouse food! Such a sight they were too! Love the centre. Your old stand-bys are gorgeous!

Here's Langeveld's tulips, good for ID for some of them. I think the one being sold as Little Red Riding Hood, cream with red stripes is Striped Emperor or T fosteriana Zombie. My purple one looks like Negrita.

Here is a red one that's been here forever, always flowers and is tall and strong, a brilliant red. It looks like Couleur Cardinal.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Forgot the langeveld link!

http://www.langeveld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=T&whichName=genus&showIntro=0

Another that has been here forever, and always opens at the same time as the red. A soft yellow with a tiny bit of red flush in places, and a fine red edge. I think this one is classy.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Top view

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is one surviving Tulip from 5 I had of Monte Carlo. It regenerated and started to flower again, I am pleased because although only one it has a lovely strong honey scent.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Dwarf tulip Electra, slowly increasing in the hosta bed. It also has a strong honey scent, with a mix of beeswax.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is the biggest clump from one bulb, being a species they increase well and like the dry spell in summer.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I have 2 really strange Narcissus, I don't think they have flowered before. They are amongst the others that were here already 8 years ago. I think it needs to open more yet, but a really interesting centre. It looks like a small cup that is split with petaloids.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Muscari latifloium that has increased to several bulbs from one I got in the puschkinia. They have aged to an interesting colour, different to what I remember.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Hyacinth Woodstock, they need some companions!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

wow, the bicolor muscari is too cool!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, don't you just love M.latifolium! Mine are proving very long lasting, and I love the height of them. Your mystery daffodil looks like a sport of Flower Record, I think it was called Mary Copeland. In any case, it's lovely.

My Queen of the Night are at their peek now. I have them with white late singles that I think are 'Maureen', and I'm enjoying them so much. The lyscimachia 'Persian Carpet' I planted around them last fall was a no show this spring, so that combo was a bust. But the dark leaved sedum nearby is a really stunning color echo.

I do love M latifolium Neal, much more than any other! These I can live with there are others I can't, those that spread like wildfire. I have another that I don't know where it came from, I wonder if they cross breed? It is a bicolour but the flower head is tall and skinny, I think it has only appeared more recently, last couple of years. It looks to be robust, the foliage is long and lanky and flops on the ground, quite dark green and curved. I took seed from M latifolium the first year (7 yrs or so) and grew them in a tray outside, they have all flowered this year and look like the parent other than the aged look. Yep vossner they are too cool!

I took a pic of the other, there is more than one flower but they are a little blurry, in this you can see the latifolium in distance.

Found a pic of Mary Copeland but not a good one, the one below it looks like it too.

http://www.bulbs-wholesale.co.nz/bulbs/narcissus/narcissus_m-p.htm

The other pic on google image was DG's but not that one, but one above it called Manly looks very alike.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/71379/

Which sedum do you have? I have Purple Emperor and it is stunning, the pinky-red flowers are a great contrast.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I believe I have Purple Emperor as well. It was from cuttings I recieved in a trade late last summer, so I was concerned that it may not establish well enough to survive the winter. But it looks happy and next year I should see a mature grouping with the tulips.

You may have a natural hybrid there. How many varieties of Muscari do you have blooming?

somewhere, PA

Did I post these yet? I can't find em

Neal I only have the M latifolium, and one other small clump of the ordinary ones whichever they are, never really bothered to find out! They are like a miniature version of that one but very short flowers and only a small contrast, just looked and the lower bells are drying but I can't really see a white edge to them where the one above does have it. Flowers are no more than an inch, 2" when spread and drying. These are 2-3" and the leaves are twice as wide and long. I hav taken some more pics, if they are any good I will post later. I think I have my very own hybrid!

That site is great, I have come across it before, real enthusiast stuff!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is my latest Daff/Narc.
Taken today.
Worms eye view again.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Love that pic Andy! A nice daff, and the sky reminds me of laying in the grass watching clouds as a kid :)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gemini, Yea, that used to give me vertigo, LOL.
Here is the same bunch from a regular angle.
These were a gift 4 years ago for forcing, then I planted them here. They bloom every year.
Another one whose name I don't know.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, Wallaby, I am so glad your pretty Woodstocks are finally out!

My first Oriental to bloom - LeReve - taken today...this bulb is always the first Oriental to bloom.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

The cup is a bit too cream or I would say they look like Thalia, mine look more cream with the light through but are white in daylight.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Steve! Where have you been! Orientals? Hmmmppphhhhh!!!!!!!!! Early August for me! Now I really don't understand that! I do have some orientals about 4" tall! LaReve is pretty, love the soft pinks, is it scented?

This is a full shot of the Muscari no name, the flowers are 2", the one turning to seed is 3". I didn't measure the stems but they must be at least 10" tall.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Close up

Thumbnail by wallaby1

My self seeded tulips are scenteda sort of honey scent, and I also have a small Lilac Perfection, either grown from a small offset or seeded. I kept a lot of seed off both L Perfection and Mount Tacoma but didn't sow it, ended up chucking it! Now I would do different. Lilac Perfection has some streaking in it, I don't remember if they had that but possibly did, they have the same honey scent. The other purple which I think is Negrita also has a slight honey scent.

Lilac Perfection first flowered after a few years.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The centres of the self sets has changed from a dark olive green to a slate blue/grey, this is 8 days from last pic

Thumbnail by wallaby1

My first Tulip Gavota

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Does anyone know what the centre of Negrita looks like? Took this one today, it is quite a rich cream colour. It was part of a mixed box of purple bulbs.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Tulip 'Hermione'

We are supposed to have a freeze tonight and in fact, it's 30° right now, which ties the record low. I'm sure it will get even colder before morning. :-( So anyway, I went out and cut my tulips and daffodils that were in bloom and I have lots of bouquets all over the house. I love it! I figured this way, I definitely would get to enjoy them a little longer.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Pretty in Pink' mix, before I cut them...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Muscari...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, here's a picture of 'Hermione' before I cut them...

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.