Spring Bulbs - Pictures and Discussion: Part VII

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

tomorrow I will be planting some double pink freesias. Easy to Grow Bulbs sent me single reds in error, but they have made good with a replacement order of dbl pinks. When would it be safe to remove the red ones and plant in new location?

somewhere, PA

Nery - no help here! Freesia are not hardy here. I'd guess that you should wait 'til the folliage turns brown and
then dig 'em up & replant to their new spot.

I'm whupped! I've been digging out my pond - its filled up with silt and dirt over the last few years. Its not very
deep to begin with and had become a mucky mess rather than a pond. So... I'm 90% done. (And that muck
stains the skin - I had to SCRUB to get clean.)

OK... onto bulbs...
Tam

somewhere, PA

Here's a cute little Jonquilla simplex in my rock garden

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And those erythronium really looking glorious in their new spot

Thumbnail by Tammy
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Tammy it looks quite sunny there for those erythroniums - do they mind that?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Tam your erythronium look like Pagoda, mine are opening too. Yours have quite a few flowers on, mine are just getting to a good size after about 7 years. They get some sun, at the bottom of the bank that has the Anemone blanda on, near a path so it does keep moist. When the horse Chestnut tree is in leaf they get more shade but they aren't under it. Cute jonquilla has a pretty background!

vossner with all your newly acquired bulbs you had better have the camera handy next season!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Flower close up

Thumbnail by wallaby1

ain't that right! lol
i luv that erythronium

Dracunculis in full

Thumbnail by wallaby1

An Anemone nemorosa 'Blue Eyes' first flowering, funny flower a bit like vestal, I suppose the eye will darken

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A Narcissus unk! Any ideas?

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The purple tulip which keeps returning, it has a deep cream eye with a darker ring around it.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

oh be still my heart.

This is one of the three I have where I had T. Lilac Perfection, it and Mount Tacoma both grew for a couple of years then I think squirrels ate them in a hard winter, the few remainder disappeared after another year. They did make a lot of seed, both doubles, but these must have crossed with the purple tulip above. The form is fuller, rounded, larger, and the eye is a dark olive green with a nearly white border.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is Avena which is evading all known sources, most have disappeared for some reason, I dug some up when planting something else a year or so ago, chopped some, but some looked diseased so could be the reason. That must a good 5" across.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Some things I have blooming now......

'Avalon'. Wow, this is just lovely. It's large and pure.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view.........

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Dicentra

EDIT: Oops! Not a bulb!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Hermione'

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Pretty In Pink' mixture

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Close-up of one in the mixture.....

Thumbnail by kbaumle
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm behind the rest of you. My Eranthis are just blooming.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my Scilla miczenkoana

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

You have a lot of pristine tulips kb! Avalon, very pretty.

Hi Todd! Great to see you catching up! The scilla look much like Puschkinia, but then the species is scilloides, a bit of a give away.

I like the back of N Replete

Thumbnail by wallaby1
somewhere, PA

Todd - that scilla is such a crisp white. Is it available from a commercial source or did you
grow it from seed?

Wallaby - that erythonium is a first year clump. The area gets morning sun - its shaded by
nearby buildings (house & barn) and was under a lovely white birch clump that died last year.
I need to replace it this year.

I love that Avalon Daffodil Kbaumle. I'll be looking for it this fall!

Tam

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I sure like those Erythronium, very nice.

Here is a worms eye view of a Grape Hyacinth.
I took artistic license with a spray bottle, LOL.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

While I'm here, Here is my first yellow Tulip.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I got the Scilla from a local nursery..it also goes under the name of Scilla tubergeniana. Not nearly as invasive as Scilla siberica. One of the first bulbs to bloom. Wallaby, it is indeed like a Puschkinia on steroids.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Wallaby, I like the back of 'Replete,' too. I noticed it when I cut two and brought them in. I really don't like them as flowers, though. They will be relegated to the Orphan garden this fall. I'll replace them with another daff, hopefully one that has a single pink cup.

I am in love with 'Avalon' and had no idea it would be so big! I loved it the first time I saw a picture of it and it's one flower that really looks like it did in the catalog.

Love your muscari picture, Andy!! EXCELLENT!!

Kylee

somewhere, PA

Andy - that's a fantastic photo! You gotta enter it in the photo contest.
Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, more fabulous photos! You folks are wonderful photograhers as well as amazing gardeners!

Here's Jim's favorite 'Geranium' daffodil in the back bed...

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and I don't think I've posted this photo of 'Little Beauty' (Tulips hageri hybrid, I think)... I've planted them along my side walkway, together with early crocus ('Ruby Giant' Tommies) and a triple row of alpine strawberries, which will make for fabulous summer snacking (the strawberries, not the crocus, LOL).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The fence row of trees behind the house has lots of these pretty white flowers... my FIL called them 'Star of Bethlehem'.

They are also in drifts in the field behind our house, and they come back despite being plowed under every spring. That field will give way to a new housing development in a couple of years, so I'd like to "rescue" some of them. Does anyone know if I can dig them now while they're easy to find and before the farmer plows under the corn stalks?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

whoops, forgot the photo...

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Night shot of Galanthus - Giant Snowdrops, Greigii tulips, daffodils (Kaydee & Ice Wings), with yellow daffodils in the background.
Couple more pics to follow...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Darwins

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and Fritillaria persica.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Daffodils Kaydee and Ice Wings in daylight.

Thumbnail by jmorth

people, people, such beautiful pictures!!!!!
Jmorth, love kaydee and ice wings. I have placed an order w/ B&B for fall delivery and it includes kaydee. also got an all white, thalia, which is the one that can grow in my zone. we must have similar tastes, huh?
critter, that pic with the white "whatever" is great. I do hope you can rescue them.
andy, yes, 2006 photo contest material for sure.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Guys n Galls.
I would have posted that Grape Hyacinth in the Photo forum but my last 3 posts there have generated zero response.
The idea for that shot came to me as I was out there, spur of the moment thing.
This is my first Spring with a digital camera, can you tell I'm having fun?
More to come.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.