Does anyone know the name for these plums?

Mesilla Park, NM

They are yellow fruited with a tint of red or pink, the very old fashioned type bush, small, tart and small fruits. I think I read somewhere that they were cottage type plums.. anyway, I would love to purchase some if anyone knows where I can find any or direct me to a plum site.. with pictures. Thanks for any help and I am still trying to ID them through google.

edited to add: I remembered one thing about them, they were flat on one side kind of like a peach is when first forming. My grandfather grew them when I was a child, they seemed to grow wild.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 1:42 PM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Are you talking about chickasaw plum (prunus angustifolia)? There is also a mexican plum (prunus mexicana).

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

i have loquats...japanese plums...

Mesilla Park, NM

I'll check those out.. Thanks.

Antoinette

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Gourd,
It would be helpful if you could give us some idea where you spent your childhood eating these - particularly if they were a 'native' plum, as different parts of the country tend to have one native species predominating over others.
For example, growing up in AL, Chickasaw plum predominated, but if you'd grown up on the northeastern coast or the Great Lakes, Beach plums would be more likely.

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Lucky,
Well, these were in Northern New Mexico zone 6, I believe. ALso, my grandmother at one time told me they ordered their fruit trees and such, but at that time (I was about 5 years old), that's about all I can remember. They may have been an european cultivar.

I did make a phone call yesterday to a lady here in CA that has one to try and see if she remembers the name (she's in her 90's), but the son told me the property had been sold and the he thinks that the plum tree has been pulled out..

They are small plums a little bit larger than or the size of big Bing Cherries. Yellowish with a purple tint on one side, almost the color of lemons. Will try my Aunt, maybe she will remember the name or can describe it better to me.

A.

Two Rivers, WI

Sounds like it could be the Yellow Plum - Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.