Field Trip to A Touch of The Tropics

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I spoke with David again yesterday. He called because one of the plants I ordered, Bienvenue, is not up to his standards (slow growth because of the ongoing bad weather). He told me he prefered not to send it to me until he can be assured it is a good size with a high bud count. Now that is a good nurseryman!
Once again he asked about Zuzu. Lali and Kell; you gals made quite an impression on him. alice

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Isn't he nice. We are hard to forget because we were intense about his plants and we laughed a lot. And you should have seen us trying to fit all the plants in the car. Poor Zuzu was buried under them. LOL

I am going to see him tomorrow. He sells at a farmer's market which is on my way to Zuzus so I am stopping for some tomatoes.......bright red tomatoes. My first of the season.

We have had so little sun here, he told us he was really suffering. Few buds!!

Well tell him I said hello and I am really excited about the hibiscus I ordered. I had been looking for a good sized June's Joy for a while.

My plants arrived today. Look at the size of them; those are 8" pots they are in. Worth every penny IMO; thanks for the heads up on A touch of the Tropics. a

Thumbnail by ardesia
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are just great. So big.

I did see David at the market Sunday. He had some beauties with him.

Here is one I I so wanted.

Thumbnail by Kell

What self discipline Kell. lol

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Let me tell you for the rest of the day I was a total failure. I came home with my station wagon packed. We had such fun.

Here is another he has that is so sweet. Powder Puff.

Thumbnail by Kell
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yessssssss I got it in a 3 gal pot for 10 dollars at that little country Nursery by Kay's. Isn't awesome??

Hmmmmmm, maybe a field trip to MS is in order????????

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I love that little nursery by Kay's house. They are so cheap

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I almost bought Antique Treasure...but I figured that I needed to leave SOME yard for my son to mow...it's good for his character. I found a website where you can buy hibiscus in liners for $2.95...or you can buy them in pots for $2.95 +11.00. I figured I have plenty of 'azalea' pots so liners work fine for me.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Bama you can't grow these in the ground. They will not survive winter here. I am 8b/9a and they don't survive for me in the ground. I keep all mine in pots. Yes liners are the way to go. Wish I had found the site before I bought all these 4" pot for 15 dollars each plus shipping on e-Bay but I was desperate to have them back. Lost all my brugs and Hibiscus. Just couldn't stand it lol.

I know this is an older thread, but was excited to find it. I ordered from David today. Loved seeing how big the plants are.

Crystal

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

It's my understanding that his mail order plants are impressive. Let us know how they look when you get them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.