Field Trip to A Touch of The Tropics

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I recently discovered this hibiscus nursery less than 20 miles from here! How in the world did I miss it!

Kell, Zuzu and I went nursery hopping and here's a few photos from the day. Wish I could remember all the names. I came home with Tarantella and Erika Nicole.

(shown is Erika Nicole)

edited to spell Erika correctly

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 1:54 PM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Here's some of the photos I took, feel free to chime in with their names if you know them.

Can you believe the size of that one!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

#4 is just gorgeous

A green house shot. (there were three this size)

Here's the link to David's web site. SUPER nice man!
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net/index.html

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Begonia, just looking at these pics makes me want to go back immediately. Thanks for the memories.

I bought Gabriel and Eye of the Storm, which is in a hanging basket. It has a sprawling habit and the blooms are so big and so heavy that all the branches would have to be staked otherwise.

Most of the plants weren't blooming yet. If they had been, we probably would have bought 10 each. They were irresistible.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

unbelievable blooms! i've never seen that big of a bloom on one before. just incredible and so lovely, every one. that place is dangerous! LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You guys are so organized. I want to go back too' Zuzu. My pics are of the same ones as yours Lali, but yours are better! LOL.

We had such fun and David is SO NICE!!! Lali and I had met him at the San Francisco Flower and Garden show in March. He invited us to his GHs. We told him we would be back and bring more friends. LOL

When it gets warmer, those GHs will be so full of blooms.

All my plants are still in my car. Is it raining out there? My DH is working. I need to empty my car before he comes home. And I need to go get sonething special for dinner.

I do not have the name of the ones I bought yet. But this one was almost neon colors.

Thumbnail by Kell

Don't feel bad, mine are still in the car too! It's been dumping here. My father in law, who lives 30 minutes from her in the foothills, has recorded 123 inches of rain so far this season. ENOUGH already with the rain...

additional nurseries we went to... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/592659/

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell, I think that one's Bienvenue. I remember that's one of the ones you bought. We have to go back there. I'm totally addicted and must have Fireworks, Nanette Peach, and Mini Ballerina, not to mention anything that happens to be in bloom when we go.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Incredible!

Thank you so much for sharing your visit, I really enjoyed looking at all the photos. I'm becoming more and more interested in hibiscus. They are really the most flamboyant flowers imaginable!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Fabulous blooms! So glad the three of you got together for a fun day of nursery shopping.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

#2 is Rainbow Christy

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I was looking to place an order with Touch of The Tropics for "merci beacoup". Seems perfect that I should happen along this post. The flowers are amazing. #8 looks familiar (rum runner maybe?).

Nice shots of the flowers.

Dott

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I love #3. :-) like I need anymore hibiscus..

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

We all need more hibiscus, Kyle!! LOL.

It could be Zuzu. I will have to check for a tag.

We have to wait for some sun to bring on the blooms before we go back. I also have to learn how to overwinter them. Mine look pretty bad and I have lost a few.

I got this one also. Did I get 2 or 3??

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And here is one I should have gotten, Dragons Fire.

Thumbnail by Kell
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell, you are so funny. You got three. I think you got Gabriel, Bienvenue, and Fifth Dimension, but I might be wrong about the third one.

The main thing is that the plants are really big. He sells them in 8-inch pots, but they wouldn't be anyone else's idea of 8-inch-pot plants. I couldn't transplant mine into anything smaller than a 5-gallon pot.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Zuzu, I have no clue what I got. You are so observant!!

I really wanted this one but the plant was so small. I got spoiled by the huge size fo some of them. This is a bad picture.

Janys.

Thumbnail by Kell
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ladies, you are all enablers! In the interest of saving my marriage, there should be some filter on this site preventing enabling. How in the world am I going to sneak in 3 more hibiscus?????

However, I am weak and after speaking with David - who is charming - I fell off the wheelbarrow and ordered Bienvenue, Tarantella and June's Joy. The shipping charges from northern CA to southern SC are more than my first car cost but after doing a bit of research it seems that his plants are larger and worth the price.

David told me the three ladies from DG were really nice (of course) and he was thrilled that you mentioned his nursery.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Wow real beauties. I got the deal of the century when visiting Kay last friday. Have a small nursery near her. They had some of the Cajun series hibiscus in 3 gal pots for 10 each. Wish I had know what they all looked like. I got Black Dragon and Powder Puff. Got Black Dragon for 5 dollars. It looked good to me but she said they(all the BD's) had almost died when she sprayed them. They weren't as full as the others but still a good looking plant. Think she let me have Powder Puff for 5 dollars also. I bought 7 plants and my total with tax was only 35.80 I got 3, 3 gal pots hibiscus, 2 full 1 gal pots of Ruella Elegans and 2 full 1 gal pots of Blue Ginger

I have asked Kay to get me a Magnifique when she gets back by there now that I know what it looks like. Wished I could have remembered the names of the others.

Kell if you get back by the nursery please pick me up a Antique Treasure. It is awesome. I lost it in the Hurricane. It was one of the liners from the co-op. I did get to see it bloom before losing her

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow Donna, you sure did. So they were dying and she sprayed them to save them? What was wrong with them? And what did she spray them with? I have few hinkey looking ones.

These are so addicting. How do you winter yors over? You get frost right?

David's site doesn't have a pic of Antique treasure
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net/alphalist.html

So I googled it for a pic and up came 3 different colorsed ones! LOL

Which was the one you want?
http://images.google.com/images?q=Antique+Treasure+hibiscus&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en

Donna, here's David's photo of Black Dragon http://www.atouchofthetropics.net/pix_med/mblack_dragon.jpg
and Powder Puff (i'll probably go back and get this one! WOW!) http://www.atouchofthetropics.net/pix_med/mpowder_puff.jpg

And I bought Tarantella when I was there ardesia! You done good girl!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I want to go back too Lali but I think we should wait for more sun to make more buds!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

look what I found
http://www.lorescotropicalplants.homestead.com/HybridHibiscusPage.html
another one coming up

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

http://hibiscusandmore.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=16290b4b9fc5e76fc6cabe3c704c715d
wonder if we can buy for these prices. I saw one of them said 30 plant minimum. Anyone intrested if we can order from them??

This is the Antique Treasure I had

This message was edited Apr 20, 2006 1:36 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

this one is sure hot
http://www.lorescotropicalplants.homestead.com/files/Sunshowers_Excellente.jpg

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

woo hoo HibiscusandMore doesn't say anything about a minimum order. Liners are 2.95 ea. are shipped priority with no handling charge for liners

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hibiscus and More is a fabulous site, but....

I had no trouble picking out 12 "must-have" liners, but when I got to the checkout portion of the site, I learned that PayPal seems to be the only payment option. People should also be warned that shipping costs are quite high: $26+ to ship 12 liners to California.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh I didn't see that there was a minimum phooey. I don't need that many. Only want about 4 more replacements to the ones I lost in Hurricane Katrina, especially Antique Treasure. I just bought 12 off e-bay for a fortune. Shipping shouldn't be to bad for me(I hope) since I am so close. Hmmm maybe get them anyway and use for trading for that price

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Did I make you think there was a minimum, Donna? I didn't mean to. I just meant I had no trouble finding a dozen right away. The dozen was my own compulsion. Nothing official.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

whew!!! scared me for a minute there lol

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I have been lusting after Powder Puff for a while now. I have told my gardenias that if they don't shape up they are most definitely shipping out and hibiscuses going in their place.

Kell, that "hot" red and yellow has me speechless.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I have it. It is a Hurricane Survivor from the co-op or her e-bay sales last year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.