wild for nastertiums

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I have to enjoy them while there gowing strong.

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

a small rasberry color mounding variety

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

my windmill is covered

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

another mounding variety I got from renees garden seeds.

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

i want to add that for me my nastertiums go wild with a light sprinkling of reagular grow power lawn and flower food. once a month pretty light though

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

another view of the windmill

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

and peeking out behind a sago

Thumbnail by steph_gem
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! You have lots of different varieties of Nasturtiums! I really like the yellow variety that is spilling over your garden bed! Do you know the name of it?

I have wintersowed Nasturtium "Perfume Mix", "Strawberries & Cream" and "Marshmallow" this year. Can't wait until I see them in bloom!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I love them too. I saved seeds from last year of several varieties, some small bushy ones and some vining. They were various colors and open pollinated , then I dropped and mixed them up. I've winter sown a few and they germinated within a few days. I'm going to direct sow some too; who knows what kind might come up. I'm sure I'll love them anyway.

Karen

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

all my varieties I ordered from renees garden. I have such good results with all thier seeds. Especially thier cosmos.

(Zone 6a)

The Nasturtium's in your first photo are AWSOME and huge! This year I got one called 'red empress' or something like that...I can never remember what it's called. I wish mine would look like your's.......I don't have as much room though :(

Thanks for sharing,
Steve

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Florida has them too...

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Those are all so lovely..I wish I had enough sun for nasturtiums this year..we had a big windowbox full of them last year.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure enjoy ya'lls pics...esp since its too hot here now. Keep them coming!
Debbie

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Our heavy rains and cool spring have made the nasturtiums so vigorous I had to yank half of them out of the new beds in our backyard area. I'm afraid I don't know the names of the three types we have -- one is the ordinary orange nasturtium, one is supposed to be red but comes out just a deep red-orange, and then there is a variegated leaf mix with yellow and orange that I think was called 'Alaska mix'. I will be posting nine photos I took from various angles, for all us nasturtium lovers to enjoy.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's another shot from a different angle of the same bed, walking all the way down that wood-chip path and turning left. Our lots here in Northern California are not large compared to other regions, this area is only about 45' wide by 50' long, with a wide patio between the two concrete block beds that encircle the two grown trees. 18 months ago there was nothing here but the trees and a bunch of yucky adobe clay soil. It has been a huge change and we love sitting out here now.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here the variegated nasturtiums peek through the silvery helichrysum 'Curry' (not a true curry plant, the leaves just smell like curry when crushed).

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

The standard and variegated nasturtiums mix in front of bearded iris leaves.

Thumbnail by jkom51
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Dont you just love them. Im so glad they did so well I know ill have lots again next spring because they really seeded heavely

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This is the bed nearest the house, above the one in the first three photos. A silver maple shades it almost completely in the summer, so I think the nasturtiums may actually be able to go all summer long in this bed. You can see all the colors of the variegated mix: yellow, orange, and a pale yellow that is almost cream. The other plants with them, L-R, are another Helichrysum 'Curry', just a glimpse of the purple flowers of a variegated Erysimum, Hellebore foliage, the spikes of snapdragons coming into bloom, and a huge clump of variegated Helichrysum petiolare that is trying to smother a valiantly-growing jade plant. The reds, yellows and oranges of the nasturtiums are a great contrast with all this foliage.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a good close-up of the flowers in the variegated mix. They have a subtle (you have to get close to see it) but lovely brushstroke of brighter orange on the pale yellow petals. The regular red nasturtium doesn't seem to flower as vigorously as the other two; for right now this one is just leaves. The purple flowerheads are variegated Erysimum and the white flowers are alyssum.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

This one spot gets the best morning sun exposure with bright shade throughout the day, so the variegated nasturtium really bloomed well. The orange nasturtium on the bottom is actually growing through a crack in the blocks, so I'll probably have to trim it back soon or it will intrude on the path.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's another mix of the variegated and regular nasturtiums in a close-up.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here you can see how extreme the coloration can be on the variegated nasturtium, from a rosy coral to a creamy white.

Thumbnail by jkom51
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I love that second pic with the alyssum.. And that last pic so pretty,

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

JKom--beautiful garden! What is the tall white spikey looking flower on the far right in the 9:06 post? Probably another plant for me to "lust" after that I can't grow in this heat and humidity! I love looking at ya'lls gardens!
Debbie

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

dmj121, believe it or not those are not flower spikes, but the upward-reaching stems of the Helichrysum petiolare "Variegata." Small fuzzy white and green leaves, vigorous....clumping groundcover? low shrub? Hard to describe as it spreads far, but the stems root very shallow in the ground so it's easy to pull up the whole plant if you're not careful when pruning. It's a very nice plant but by far the most vigorous-growing variety of the several Helichrysums I have. "Limelight" has larger leaves with a lovely chartreuse color that I also grow for great visual impact in partial sun.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I love them also, but it'ws still to early to plant them up here. Enjoyed looking at all the different colors. I like to grow an alaska mix with the variegated leaves and a fairly compact habit as I don't have too much space that's not filled with Hostas. I like to throw Nasturtiums (leaves and flowers) into my salads and I generally put the flowers around the top of a potato salad.

Ann

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! I have loved Nastursiums since I first saw them overflowing and cascading from every sort of window box and whiskey barrel in Maine. but I have never been able to grow more than a few leaves. The directions always say "thrives in poor soil; fertilizer will produce leaves at the expense of the flowers." Since I've given up planting seeds in the dirt, I'm mostly working with containers, where I can control the soil. What should I do, add sand? What am I doing wrong?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

i just put them in containers mixed witht other plants nothing special and fertilize at half rate

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.