saw palmetto yellowing

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought a saw palmetto from a nursery and it was green when I bought it. Now since I have planted it in the ground the fronds have started turning yellow. I have read before that when transplanting palms that you should remove all the foliage. Is this true with saw palmetto? You can see in the photo that the newest emerging frond is dying.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Where on earth did you read to remove all foliage before transplanting palms!? THat is certainly NOT going to give you much success, unless maybe you will be digging up or transplanting large Sabal palms. Otherwise leave on most of the leaves when digging up palms... but if you are just planting smaller palms (20gal or less) don't remove ANY leaves.

As for the yellowing, that could just be stress or acute reaction to sun (was this from a greenhouse or shade house?).

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

It was in a 5 gal container. The nursery that I bought it from had it in full sun. Should I try to put some kind of shade over it for a few weeks to relieve some of the sun stress on it? The transplanting of large palms may be where I got that info on removing the leaves. I am not a palm expert. LOL . I do remember that when I picked the pot up at the nursery that the roots had actually grown through the bottom of the pot and into the ground. So these these roots had to be broken in order to pick up the plant.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That breaking of the roots could be one source of stress for palm. I would not shade it, but water it really well and frequently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.