Yellow Annuals

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

It came to me the other day that there are not very many heat tolerant, yellow annuals. Can ya'll think of any?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Not where the whole genus tends yellow, but certainly single cultivars within these groups: marigolds (lemon drop just one), sunflowers like Teddy Bear, calendula, coreopsis, dahlia, zinnia, creeping zinnia (sanvitalia procumbens), and some of the nasturtium.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Also, dahlberg daisy, calibrachoa (million bells), lots of the california poppies.

(Zone 6a)

there is also yellow petunias.....thats the only one I can think of now. Zeppy already named all the other ones I could think of.... :)

Steve

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

There are yellow snapdragons, and of course many different rudbeckias (they're not all perennials). Nemesia and salpiglossis have some yellow strains too.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

melampodium is a great annual that is bright yellow. It does tend to reseed a lot the next year. Yellow lantana ( may or may not be an annual where you live) Yellow purslane and yellow portulaca, celosia, sanvitalia, pansies, gazanias, african daisy, cosmos, tuberous begonias-all I can think of for now

(Zone 6a)

Yellow impatiens(shade), Canary bird vine(part shade), osteospermum, black eye susan vine, yellow datura, 'transformer' nigella and safflowers.
Those are some more I thought of.

Steve

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Bartonia aurea and bidens both yellow and annual.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm looking for yellow annuals that are blooming right now. My son and 8 other kids are coming to take prom pictures in front of my garden next Saturday evening. My son's date's dress is coral and I would like for my "very pink" garden to be toned down a bit. I can only find yellow marigolds right now. Marigolds are not my favorite flower.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Although Houston is not Midland here are some 'Magellan Yellow' I grew from seeds but also ought to be widely available in the nursery trade this year as transplants. I had to get at sort of an odd angle to avoid my own shadow here.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Rudbeckia 'Goldilocks'

Thumbnail by dmj1218

And while our native tecoma stans (esperanza or yellow bells) 'Goldstar' is a perennial, it is widely available in the trade, highly adapted to our state, and will continue to bloom for you until fall.
Just a few ideas from my garden.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

dmj - The esperanza is beautiful! I don't recall seeing that plant before. I suppose it wouldn't grow here. Sigh.

(Zone 6a)

I had to go check out the Esperanza in the plant files and the straight species(Tecoma stans var. angustata) is hardy to zone 7a!!! YAY! Only one zone ahead of me. I wonder if it could be overwintered in a shed or unheated greenhouse?

Steve

Edited to add species name

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 12:32 PM

Lots of folks grow it up north in pots--hummers love it too--dmail me; I got seeds galore. Mine is "Goldstar" variety.

Here's another view of it....

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I love Esperanza! Mine is just not blooming right now. I'm gonna have to go look for the Magellan and the Rudbeckia. Those are both great! I did find Dahlberg Daisies yesterday. Dahlberg's smell so great, too. I've used them for many years but I just forgot about them. I also found some beautiful coral Geraniums.

The picture is my garden but not this year.
Thanks for all your ideas. I can't wait to show ya'll the Prom Pictures!

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

dmj1218, is that tecoma fragrant?? How fast did it grow from seed?

It's fast from seed but really doesn't have alot of fragrance tigerlily. Freat for hummers and flutterbies!

Here's a good link:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/tecomastans.htm

Debbie

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

thanks I want to get one! It's on my list...the one that just keeps on growing

Here's a shot today of how well the Magellan series zinnias and the rudbekia "Goldilocks" are really taking off. We've had near 9o degree days for 2 weeks and humidity so thick it's downright "chewy". Now I know there are a few orange Magellan zinnias in there, but it makes a good color combination, in my opinion, I find it really easy to over do the yellow.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Here's those zinnias now...real good performer!
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.