Large Backyard project - 1 man... me

Redmond, WA

k so I'm new to this forum, HI.

I'll start right in and ask the question that's bugging me ;-). I'm on caffiene so be prepared to not understand...

I've 3/4 acres in redmond - it's a mess of a yard - partly my fault from attempted cleanup - partly previous owners for not doing anything with it for his 3 years there. Enough of that.

1. got a large section that's just brush (and some stumps and rocks) - I used a 2 stroke brush cutter end of last summer to shave down the brush... Now I want to clear it out using more machines... (back injury this winter prevents too much manual labor - well... to avoid reinjury anyhow - I'm still young)
2. Oh my - who ever invented english ivy... and whoever thought it would look great covering 1/4 of an acre and trees? Well I did reduce this by 2/3rds but seriously is there a simpler solution?
3. My mulch pile - it was started by previous owner - it's not gone anywhere and it's huge!! I did bring in a tractor to attempt to move it - but sloppy hill prevented doing anything on the safe side.

Basically I guess what I'm asking is there some sort of walk behind machine that will assist will all the above?
Those big boom style roatary 'mowers' that they use to mow the ditches along the sides of our roads seem to do the trick for the brush areas, but alas still too sloppy of land.

DR brush mower also seems to be close but I'm concerned of hitting rocks or similar - how are they for spitting out the hidden rocks safely?

I'll leave it with these for now - thx

Redmond, WA

Oh as for the english Ivy... I may thread some rope underneath the whole thing and use the winch on my jeep to Lasso it all out at once... jut a thought though :-)

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

I'd recommend you hire some with a tractor that can clean and clear the land. Remove stumps, brush, ivy and wahtever else you wan to get rid of. Then rent a bobcat with a rockhound attachment. This will pick up most of the rocks from 8 inches to 2 in diameter. Then you can rake by hand. Once the rocks and brush are gone it will be much easier to seed or bring in topsoil or whatever you have in mind for the next phase.

As you do this watch your grading and water run off.

Trying to do this job with small walk behind machines doesn't sound too promising.

jb

Redmond, WA

I did a little research on a rockhound - intriquing device. This led me to SkidSteerSolutionscom, I then emailed them and described my project - the guy replied that night with a few great suggestion to help minimize attachments I would need. Use a GR series grapple for most everything then the rockhound attachment. There some impressive video's on the grapple to give you an idea.

I can pretty much get away without having to kill my back again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.