Herbs in containers

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

What herbs would grow well in containers and together?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I always grow some of my parsely (by itself in a very large pot) and basil in pots so that I can bring them in in the fall and have fresh for the winter months. My tarragon also grows in a pot. Rosemary grows beautifully in pots, as well as sage. Since marjoram, oregano, and all the mints are such rampant growers, they are relegated to pots only at my house. Since most herbs like similar growing conditions, you could grow any of them that you'd like to group together in the same pot.

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Just keep in mind that you'd better use a very large pot. I grow basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, Italian parsley and sage in 12" pots and a single plant of each fills the pot except for the parsley and basil which can hold 2 or maybe 3 plants each. This is a pic taken in early June of my herbs and as you can see many of the pots are already full.

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I pot up what I'll use, plus a little for color, in a 14" pot. I only have a balcony garden, and it faces north so I'm limited in what I can do. This is this year's pot. The herbs always do well IF I remember to water!

This one has parsley, chives, mesclun, viola and a little sweet alyssum.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I have always grown my herbs in separate pots. I would definitely recommend a deep pot for Dill as they have a long tap root so in my garden until I tried the deeper pot I didn't have luck growing Dill in a container. If growing your own plants, direct seed Dill as it doesn't seem to like to be transplanted. For herbs in containers, I have grown successfully: genovese, red, thai, and lemon basil, greek oregano, parsley, dill, thyme, cilantro, chamomile, rosemary, tarragon, mint, sage, and chives. I use pots with built in water resevoirs that I bought at Walmart/Kmart. Surprisingly some of the perennial herbs like sage, oregano, chives, thyme, tarragon, mint overwinter in the pots when put behind my shed for the winter. I take the rosemary inside. I start with new parsely, basil, dill, chamomile plants each year.

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.