Salpiglossis, painted tongue

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've grown these before and thought I'd try them again this year. They are so beautiful close-up and do well as a cut flower: long, wiry stems with 4-5 blooms, ravishing colours. There's a photo in my journal. http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewentry.php?rid=87454

I sowed these (Bolero mix) in a 4" pot of ProMix and got a very good take. Too many, in fact! This tray (on the right) shows some I pricked out on Sunday and planted in 9-packs, and I've got a pile of them left to go. My friends will be growing salpiglossis this year, and any neighbour who stops by at our garage sale!

On the left is a tray of schizanthus, which I think I mentioned in another thread. These are so cheery and floriferous in July, it's worth the effort now. It's not a plant you often see at nurseries, and very easy to grow at home. Fabulous in hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by andycdn
Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I love the Painted Tongues also! I got them as a bonus seed pack many years ago when I ordered from the Fragrant Path catalog. So that was my introduction to them. They are carefree once established. The only problem I have is the slugs love them when they are first out in the garden with their new leaves. I usually grow a few extras and make sure to surround them with diatomacious earth or sprink with lime.

Too bad you aren't near me or I'd take some of your extras off your hands!

Sue

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I just grew some painted tongue last year and I love them!
They are almost better than petunias in some ways.
But they took forever to germ. So, this year I just germed them on top of the soil and covered them for darkness and they really took off. Found out that they just need some darkness at the very beginning of life.
Carol

(Zone 6a)

I'm trying painted tounge for the first time this year, I sowed them in my cold frame and they're just starting to sprout. I've also got the Bolero mix. I read there's sometimes a really nice clear blue variety in it.

Steve

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've seen that blue sold separately, too, not just in a mix.

(Zone 6a)

I looked it up...it's called 'Kew Blue'. I'll have to add it to my list for next year...

Thornton, IL

I tried these for the first time last year in a container planting, with purchased plants. They have a tendency to melt out in the heat. Since we had record droughts, and very hot weather, mine gradually disappeared by midsummer, in spite of being well-watered in part shade. Such a pretty flower, I don't regret it for one minute! Happy gardening. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.