Straw Bale Gardening - Part 2 - Planting & Maintenance

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I finally got my hay bales (grass hay) on Monday. I only have six to begin with. They were given to me. I soaked them good yesterday and planted 8 red cherry tomatoes and 1 yellow Jubilee. I caged them. They are calling for frost in the morning so I am going to put a bit of straw around the base of the plants to hold them upright and cover the cages with garbage bags. I bought some Big Bertha bell peppers and some Sweet Banana peppers yesterday but I am not going to put them out just yet. We made a nice sized flower bed yesterday. We moved some rocks from on the mountain into it and we are planting a half wooden barrel in the middle. While we were at the garden store I talked to a man who told me how his Mom raised her potatoes in a stack of tires. He said she started with one tire and as the plant got taller, she added another tire on top and filled it with dirt. He said she had some that were 8 tires high and full of potatoes.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cajun, my mom raised potatoes that way after my stepfather died.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Cajun, have the bales finished cooking yet? From other posts, it seems to take a couple of weeks for them to hot up and cool down properly. (Just a thought so you don't fry your tomato plants. :) )

pam

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I was going to ask cajun the same thing.

Victoria, MN(Zone 4a)

Alyrics- thanks for the Dahlia reply. I was drooling over some in a catalog and I think if I can try just a few this summer I'm going to have to- they are soooo pretty.

DEA- I just found out that my Farm supply only has Urea. I looked to see if you had given you recipe (amt's and day's ) above- I dont see it. Can you share it with me? If you already shared- sorry I missed it.

Thanks,
Hill

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My bales are grass hay as opposed to straw and strawbaleman said they likely wouldn't need any prep time. I'm hoping they will work well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll keep you posted.

I really think the potatoes in the tires is a neat idea. Great use for old tires. And I don't think they ever wear out. I have also seen horse feeders and planters made from them. I imagine if somebody has a creative mind there are thousands of ways to put them to good use.
Beats having them filling up the land fills.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You got that right!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Hey epatz :) The urea we got, which is 41-0-0 is probably roughly the same everywhere in terms of Nitrogen percentage. We use 1 cup per bale every 3rd day. Hope that helps :)

Dea

That may work out well, Cajun, as the grass bales are looser. Mine got sort of hot though.

Wake Forest, NC

Cajun: I couldn't remember what I said about hay, so I went back in the 1st thread to reread it. I mentioned that, based on some material I read, a "fresh", unweathered hay bale is rich in nitrogen and probably wouldn't need any MORE nitrogen to get it prepped.

Wheat straw bales lack that nitrogen so we have to add it from other sources.

So, for learning purposes, would you feel down in a bale every so often to see if it heats up like the wheat straw bales?

Worse case scenerio is the heat build up may damage the plants you already have in there, but you could re-transplant.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh, oops...hay...straw...whatever. :) LOL Actually I have grass hay bales too. I poured compost tea over them last Saturday and it has rained a couple of days this week and they are hotting up nicely, although I keep forgetting to borrow a thermometer from work to take their temperature. Will keep you posted (I'm also keeping a diary--not online, though--so I'll have a written record of what happens with my bales).

Last frost here is Mother's Day, so the maters will go in then. Hopefully the bales won't have decomposed completely by then!

Have 13 bales so far and am picking up another 13 this Friday from my buddy back in the hills. I'd like to have 40 or so total...which is what I'll need for all my tomato plants. *sigh*

My neighbors are curious as to what I'm up to, and not quite convinced, I think...hopefully I'll be able to convince them with big ol maters this summer. :)

pam

Beachwood, OH

Wargamer777 - I am very interested in your circular net potato planters. I suppose you are poking holes in the sides of the white plastic bags for drainage. How often do you have to water in SC? It gets a lot hotter there than in OH. I've seen those pop-up circular carry-alls for kids toys or cleaning up the yard every once in a while for just a few $. Wonder if you could just put the dirt directly in them or if it would really require a plastic bag. Did you choose white so it wouldn't get so hot? I would love to just dump out the bag and pick up the taters - beats digging any day.
About planting them - did you start the plants in the surface of the full bag of soil, or fill the bags half way and then keep adding as the vine grows?

epatz - check some of your local nurseries for dahlia tubers as well as Lowes, HD, etc. I'm never going to claim the quality of the tuber is equal but if its your first time they will do for getting the hang of what dahlias like. One of my local nurseries grows the dwarf dahlias as an annual that you can buy in 6-packs.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I guess I need to get the ammonium nitrate, my bales just aren't heating at all... I've used chicken poop straight, I had a bag of "compost maker" and they're still just sitting there. :-(

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Strawbaleman,
Do you think I can get a temp reading with a long probed thermometer that comes with a deep fry set? We have 2 propane cooking sets we boil seafood in, fry fish ect.outside and they came with the thermometers. Would one of those get the reading I need?

Here are my bales on the first day. They are inside a flowerbed I have never put soil in. I spread landscape cloth on the ground to keep the grass down. I soaked the bales with the hose and then it came a long hard rain so I know the bales are good and wet. It was overcast today. If it warms up tomorrow, I will wet them again.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This is what it looks like today. They are calling for frost in the morning so I put enough straw in the cages to hold the plants upright and then covered the cages with garbage bags. I tied them at the bottom to hold them on then I pegged them down with small tent stakes in case the wind blew.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Aiken, SC

cajuninky,
The deep fry will work perfect. We used it and we have had great success. Will post some more photos soon.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't understand why everyone is trying to use thermometers that are meant for everything else when you can buy them for compost piles. I don't know what they cost but the others are not that much cheaper. Do you think????

edited to add. You can also buy compost pile turners. Or "stirers" whatever you want to call them. And they aren't that expensive either. In fact, I might get one of those. Once the stuff starts composting I would think you could stick that down in there and give it a few turns and get it moving even more. Then it would be pretty easy to make a hole to plant your plants.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2006 10:13 PM

Wake Forest, NC

Cajun: Melinda is right on the money; the deep fry thermometer works great

The only reason I'm taking the temps is to be a little more methodical and see if there is a cause and effect on what we do since there's so many of us doing bales this year

Yeah, you've got to research when you're pioneering things.

I have a compost/soil thermometer from Lee Valley. Works great.

Aiken, SC

"It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, boys and girls!"

Things are goin' and plants is growin! Don't you know!? Since it ain't broke why fix it?!

In response to Jnette, the nice lady up Ione way, When we'uns in the souf git a chanc ta maik thangs simpal we'uns du it, an sance we'uns lak ta ate' lots of fryd foods an I dints have a fryd foods thimagig I saw a chanc to gets a new one ta use in the growins and cookins all in one, well "heres your sign".

Now, If you want to buy a tool for each procedure in your garden, like we say in the South, "you go girl". But, when you want to check the oil in your car you better have a dip stick. Ha Ha. Now on to new threads.

I checked with our agriculture department at So. Carolina's Clemson University Dept. here in Aiken, SC. Today , and found out that they will do an analysis of straw bale samples that I will be getting from several different bales. This analysis will include a check on ph, moisture content, amonium nitrate, and all of the different compounds and nutrients in the sample. This is called a complete compost analysis to let all of us new to the game, know exactly what we should be giving our plants to get maximum production. The results will take up to two weeks to get back and I will be happy to share them with anyone who wants to know. God Bless!

Melinda and Kurt

Wake Forest, NC

Interesting discovery:

My double row of bales are still maintaining a temp of about 120-125. The single row bales are about 80-100, probably ready to plant by tomorrow or Saturday.

I pulled one of the bales in the double row away from its partner and steam rose noticeably from between the bales. I also noticed a white "film" that had the consistency of a spider web or fine lint on the side of the bales.

This white substance is obviously from the decomposition process, but I don't know what to call it.

A conclusion:

The double row adds mass and creates more insulation for the bales to retain heat in the decomposition process; this may help get the bales cooking faster in colder temps; once they're thru cooking, just gently separate them into individual rows.

Thumbnail by KentNC
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would guess that white stuff must be some type of mildew. But it's just a guess. Or maybe a few spiders making a vacation home in the warmth of your bales. LOL

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I was thinking the same as Cajun, mildew or mold. Which should not hurt anything.

And to Melinda, I do believe the thermometer for the compost is a tad bit longer than one for deep frying. Like about 12 to 18 inches if I remember correctly. But then again, maybe I didn't remember correctly. And I don't think a dip stick would do much to stir your composted straw up where you want to put those little feet of the tomatoes and pepers.

Yes, it's a mold that's a compost byproduct. Good stuff.

Wake Forest, NC

10-4 on the mold; kinda of figured it was a positive result; with only single bale rows last year, I didn't notice this. The space between the two bales must create a nice environment.

Off today, so I'm going to get my cucumbers this morning and then I'll have everything I need.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

When I was checking my bales by sticking my hand down inside, there was the white stuff inside each of my bales. The white stuff and some very dark stuff. It seems like when the bales were done cooking and cooled off I didn't notice any more white stuff in there.

I did notice last night when I was watering my bales that there seems to be quite a few crickets in and around the bales. The don't seem to be disturbing the little sprouts I've planted, but they sure do have the guineas going crazy to get into the garden. If I leave the garden gate open for only a minute while I go get something those little rascals sneak into the garden after the bugs.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wonder why the crickets. That is interesting. What would happen if you let the guineas in to clean them up? Think they would get your cukes? You must have a top on your garden. I haven't seen too many things that guineas can't get into. LOL

Melinda, maybe I got into this thread by mistake and it is really meant for people in the South. Sorry, I will refrain.

Jeanette

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Is anyone else watering twice a day? hmm My seedlings seem to wither if I don't.

Wake Forest, NC

Salem: I just got some of my plants in today, but I can speak from experience last year, and Big Red has recently brought this up.

You can't water too much and initial twice-a-day waterings should be a mind-set.

The top of those bales will dry out faster than you think, and until those veggies establish a good root system, they'll want all the water you can provide.

goodview, VA(Zone 7a)

I find this very interesting. Was wondering is it to late to start? Also do you need wheat bales or can you use another kind? I live in Goodview Va. Near Roanoke Va, incase you were wondering where the heck Goodview is. How much of what evr you put on top of bales do you need? Thanks and God Bless, Keith

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

hmstyl, my bales are loaded with crickets also. Guess it can't do much harm (unless you have guineas, of course). Hmmm.....wonder how I can trap them? They make great bluegill bait!

Yup, Kent is right, you can't over-water, and on a sunny day they can and will dry out quickly!

Edited to add: Keith, I used two 4 lb. boxes of blood meal to start mine, check how mine were started here: http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=2612

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 10:07 PM

Wake Forest, NC

Big Red: I wonder if you can get a shop vac and suck those little rascals up without killing them? Of course, you might need a very long extension cord! :-)

Keith: no, you're not too late; welcome aboard; you'll find alot of good stuff by reading the 1st thread and catching up on this one; I know it's alot, but you have a lot of sharp folks here; also, be sure to go to the top of this thread and add your location on the map.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I stopped by the feed store and picked up a bad of Amonium Nitrate today, funny, they didn't know about signing for one bag, they said they only do that if it's a LOT of bags.
Got the bales sprinkled, and hopefully now they'll start heating up.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I cannot find my thermometer with the long probe. I can only find the one with the 4 inch probe and it is not registering a single degree. I didn't think it would. I have to hunt more for the longer one. My 5 year old grandson lives with me so there is no telling where it is. LOL I mixed up 2 gallons of Peters All Around fertilizer and watered with that today. My tomatoes are a bit yellow but they were when I put them in. They were in the cell pack for quite a while before I got my bales. I have my eye on two straw bales at the neighbor's house. They have been in her yard since last October. I am going to ask her for them since she doesn't seem to have any plans for them. They were part of her Harvest Festival decorations. Do you think I will need to do any prep work on them after sitting out for so many months?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Kent, yeah, I'd need a very long cord, about 350 ft. from the house. When I first started watering my bales I lugged water out in 5 gallon buckets (4 wheeler w/trailer), I finally smartened up and bought another 150 ft. of hose, no more lugging water! Much easier!

Thanks again for introducing us to this method! I've got some of the lushest, dark green tomato plants I've ever raised. Course, as my Dad used to say, "the proof's in the pudding". We'll have to wait and see how they produce. I've planted some of each variety in the ground also, just to compare results. So far it's the straw bales, no comparison!

Wake Forest, NC

Cajun: any bale that's been out that long should be primed and ready to go; also, if you don't have a long thermometer, just use your hand to judge the heat on new bales; that's all I did last year

Based on the different sources everyone's using for their nitrogen, the zones they are in, temps, etc, the bales will prob show different characteristics; we'll just have to watch and see and compare

Big Red: I'm just glad I stumbled on this method. Folks are still looking at me funny when I mention what we're all doing. They sort of look at me like I from some sort of cult, like a Hare Krishna, or something. :-)

All: has anyone heard of an indeterminate tomato called MOUNTAIN SPRING?

I bought a 4 pack today to try them out.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Kent,

Never heard of that Mt. Spring tomato before, but here's the plant link to it: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/30849/index.html

It has 2 neutral ratings.

Farmer Dill says, "On Mar 8, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:
A 1990 entry in the mountain series from North Carolina State University, Fletcher. A fresh market tomato. Seed is widely available to home gardeners."

And the other says, "On Jun 8, 2003, MaryvilleRick from Maryville, MO wrote:
These are described as a crack resistant, large, firm fruit maturing in 69 days. F1 Hyb."

It looks like I might be putting 2 of my young seedlings in the other bale this weekend. I just have to decide which variety! I got Brandywine OTV, Cherokee Purple, and Red Cherry. The rest of them will most likely go in homemade earthboxes.

Wake Forest, NC

Wargamer: Appreciate that; I need to explore this site more with all of its resources.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

RE: Mountain Spring tomato. I was given a small plant last spring but I can't say it did anything extraordinary. It is supposed to be good for this area. I hope you have good luck with them.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

We planted into our bales today - tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, zukes, an eggplant, and some gourds; the bales are rotting well and we were able to pull up and out good handsful of straw to (a) give room to plant well down into the bale and (b) tuck around the "collars" of the plants as they got tucked into place. More pictures in my garden diary!
This pic shows our "arrangements" of bales - five, three, and a row of eight. That's Lise tucking the Blue Lake Bush Bean starts into their places.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2006 5:01 PM

Thumbnail by RuTemple

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.