Frost the Night of Sunday April 9th

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

Had a light frost on Sunday night but was enough to kill the new growth on the Knotweed (Red Dragon) that had leafed out. Not the first year this has happened to that plant either but it does seem to come back just fine. Did anyone else have any damage?

But other things seem to be just jumping up now - in particular the peony that I was worried was dead, is not! It's up about 3" at least & I saw nothing there when I last looked but not sure how many days ago - not long though.

Crozet, VA

You know six, I didn't even think to look at my outside plants yesterday. I was involved in preparing taxes. Oh my gosh, this is the first time that I have ever waited this late to file. Got about half way through the taxes and have to sit aside time later this morning to finish them.

Since finding the message boards at about Christmas time, I spend a lot of time each day reading and learning. I used to spend the same amount of hours in a chat room. I would be lost without this old machine, that is for sure.

My room is slow in coming together. I found myself doing a mini spring cleaning yesterday morning. I realized that I was willing to do anything to avoid sitting down with the tax papers. haha

Anyway, my dust collecting shelves are breathing a lot easier today after removing the build up that is collected when living in a house with three dogs.

If the weather report is still the same as it was on Sunday when I checked, my plans are to put the pots of ground-bound plants outside again and leave overnight for a while. I will cover them on nights when it is below 50 degrees.

So far the things that I have planted are looking good. May not be growing fast, but look healthy. It is so exciting for me to have all of this to look forward to. I can't think of anything else, other than having children and falling in love that has brought me so much joy.

Good luck with the Red Dragon coming back for you. I too have peonies that are sticking their heads out of the ground. Well, a little better than that. They are actually about a foot high when I last looked last week.

Anyway, hope that today will be a happy gardening day for all. And if there is anyone else who has put off tax preparation, get to it!!! haha

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL re Peonies!! I'd read the other day someone mentioning their Peony coming up and I thought WHAT? You're kidding me. I was so focused and watering newbies outside and repotting inside...didn't notice my peony was up I swear almost a foot and a half. Yikes, when did that pop up? LOL

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

no I am too chicken to put anything out this soon.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

rox,
Only things I'd put into the ground were a Persian Lilac (lrg established) & Yuccas/Agaves. Now I'm doing what ruby mentioned by putting the plants that are going in the ground outside to "harden" them up. Fun, fun, fun...oh to have my living room back again...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.