Arenga micrantha hardiness & exposure

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I have a large 2 gallon plant that I want to plant out for hardiness testing. Some references suggest part-shade so I was going to plant it under some timber bamboo. I'm thinking it'll stay relatively dry for the winter. Should this work or should it be "tented" for the winter or placed in a sunnier spot? What kinda soil works best for this one? Thanks

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Can't help you with that particular species, but usually the more sun the better if cold is a problem... or at least plant it where it will get as much winter sun as possible. Good luck. Hope yours grows better than mine does (mine is only a 1 gal, and a dinky one at that... had it 3 years and only made two new leaves in that time)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This is where I got some of the info and it mentions cool summers, dry winters and hardy to +/- 16F. http://www.fremontica.com/palms/pages/palm_detail.php?id=85
It says it is a cool-growing palm but I've had these 2 palms in the greenhouse for a number of years during the winter. They don't seem to like the greenhouse much. Maybe a shaded cool spot in your garden will be better on your plant. Not sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.