Cracks and spaces - what to use.

North Plains, OR(Zone 8a)

I am working on our new (to us) property. There are some wonderful existing garden spaces the previous owners established. Unfortunately, because we could not move to our new home until last fall, and we purchased it in March of last year, the gardens for the most part, need clearing out and replanting. I'm doing it a bit at a time. This is the first area.

I have attached (I hope) photos of our new heather and heath garden. The plants on the second tier of this garden are roses.

I have a moss problem (who doesn't), and also trouble with lots of things growing in the cracks between the cement garden blocks. I need something to fill those cracks without threatening the heath and heather.

We are new to Pacific northwest gardening, having moved here after 9 years in the desert and Minnesota before that. Moss is not an issue in either of those places.

Any suggestion grateful accepted.

Thumbnail by soldiersong
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness, this is nice! I can't wait to see pics of other areas!!!

I think hellebores would be pretty on the lower level and also something that cascaded over the edges and down. Does lobelia do well in your area?

Lavendar would look nice on both levels. I like lavendar with roses.

Gwendalou

Gulf Coast, United States(Zone 9a)

For your moss problem, KOMO has a short article http://www.komotv.com/features/gardenguys/tip_76.asp

To fill in the cracks, alyssum and violas are a possiblity and will grow just about anywhere. On the higher levels, you could put in dwarf nastrums and let them cascade down the sides.

North Plains, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the kind words and quick replies. I want to make certain I don't threaten the newly planted heather and heath with whatever I use to fill in the rock areas. When I phoned Heaths and Heathers to ask what to use she had no suggestions. She said heather loses out to almost anything planted around it if the plant is at all spreading.

Do any of you have experience with heath and heather around any ground cover rock garden plant.

I will post photos as the gardens progress. It is a huge project for me and I love it!

Thanks again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.