Strawberries

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Which are the best varieties for my area (Willamette Valley), and when should I plant them?
Am I already too late?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi-- I like the Hoods and picked up a 6-pack last week. With my heavy clay soil I will have to kinda "mud" them in. Hopefully today... hopefully... (too many things to get done!)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I just ordered mine last week from Raintree. I know I got the TriStar variety and possibly Seascape as well. But I'm in WA so what pardalinum suggested may work better for OR.

Gwendalou

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Benton and Willamette works good here. I have both of these the past few years. Bought them at the local nursery, Garlands.
Carol

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the strawberry info.

I stopped at Lowes after work today, and picked up a strawberry pot, and a nine pack of "Allstar" strawberry plants. They didn't have a very good selection, but I didn't feel like driving all over town. I'll give these a try.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

My tristar and seascape have arrived. I'm hoping to get them planted today. I'm planning to mix in compost. Is there anything else I should know?

Gwendalou

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Gwendaula, I took a bunch of strawberrie sized rocks and painted them red. I set them out allaround my patch after I had mulched it good with grass clippings and when the birds come to start pecking away supprise!!!!! It seems to work well for keeping them away. I guess over there you don't have to worry to much about getting to dry, But they do get seedy if to dried out.
Debbie

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Birds? I have to worry about birds???? I just today had the gardeners put in 210 feet of bunny-proof fencing. Birds? Oh dear.

You know what stupid thing I did last year? I actually hung a bird feeder in my cherry tree. This was in the winter before the cherries came out. But then the birds were used to coming to that tree and guess how many cherries we got off it? Duh! This year I think we may net it. I'm going to keep a close watch on it.

Birds eat strawberries? I had no idea as the bunnies ate them up so fast last year there weren't any left for anyone else, including humans.

Okay, I'll try that rock thing!

Gwendalou

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL! Oh My,Yes birds love the berries of all sorts. I think I spoke to soon about being to dry! Yikes I feel like we need to build an arc! I'm starting to feel like I live back in Arlington. It has rained hard for days. Rutholive! are you not getting flash flooded over there? As the crow flys we are only a few short misel away from each other. Oh ya Qwen, don't forget to bury that bunny fince at least a foot deep, those little buggers dig real good.
Debbie P.S. hanging a birdfeeder in a cherry tree was
of an invite for them wasen't it? LOL

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 6:53 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.