1/2 55gal barrel planters

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Just planted these today. 2 down 2 to go.
I like these 1/2 55 gal drum barrels. I will do this many many many more times.
Heavy Weight Bell Peppers, Sweet banana, hot banana, cayenne, jalapeno, and one better bush tomato, all surrounded by marigolds, petunias.

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow , They look beautiful. What great recycling idea.
Patti

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

now 4 half barrels
the next two have eggplant, petunias, and marigolds.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

12 half barrel
planting onions , garlic, and sowing turnips, radishes, and carrots in the ones that are full of soil

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cricket--As usual, you never cease to amaze me! I love your posts....just one question where did you get them? And how did you cut them in half?
Debbie

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

We have a local salvage place here---they have nothing ugly---they just collect , buy , and resale used stuff. They get the barrels from somewhere else and sale them. They costed me $15 each. They use to have concentrated orange juice in them.
I guess you just have to call around and ask if certain stores sale barrels---or if they know where to get some.
I just got lucky.

hope you get lucky too.

Cricket

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

and oops

We cut them using a Jig Saw. The plastic barrels have a mold line on half way mark already so it is easy to cut in half.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

11 days after I transplanted to the barrel planters.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

update pictures

Better Bush tomato barrel planter
And the Bell Pepper Planter

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Eggplant Planter

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

some new planters with sweet banana peppers, better bush tomatoes, petunias.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been thinking about doing this with the plastic versions, and now I'm pretty much convinced that I should give it a try. I have access to free drums that were used for liquid soap, so cleaning them up certainly shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the inspiration. Paul

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Another one of my stupid experiments:
I planted 4 squash plants per 1/2 barrel. (27gallons soil)
I have planted 8 Cantaloupes per 1/2 barrel.
Planted 6 watermelons per 1/2 barrel.

Have carrot seedlings up in 2 barrels, have turnip green seedlings up in 4 barrels, garlic is up in 2 barrels, onions are up in 2 barrels.

Total of 3 barrels with better bush tomato plants surrounded with annual flowers, 1 barrel with 3 sweet banana peppers and annuals, 1 barrel with 6 bellpeppers and annual flowers.

I have a regular Barrel garden goin on here.
Its an addition. Will go broke cause I do not know when to stop.

Fixing up 6 more this week with various veggies and annuals. Hardly no weeds, seldomly water for now til summer. I water once a week right now. Fertilize once a week.
Its so easy. I keep thinking how much fun next year will be when I do not have to mix all that dirt and cut barrels. Just turn soil, refresh some, and plant. WHALA.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Paul...where are you getting those barrells? Crickets got me about convinced I need some for my "skinny" eastern exposure side yard!
Debbie

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Cantaloupes. Yes I may be a dummie but "live and learn!"

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

squash

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

turnip greens---easy care

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie, Sorry for taking so long to answer your post, but I've been pretty busy this past week and haven't visited the site 'til today. I get my barrels from local auto dealerships. You can inquire about availability with someone in the showroom. The barrels will actually be located in what's known as PDI. This is where new and used cars go for cleanup and addition of add-ons prior to sale. Luckily my business gives me connections with the guys who work there, but I think if you just ask, they would probably be willing to save some for you. Paul

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Cricket,

What are you using for soil?

You mentioned you fertilize once a week? Are you using miracle gro or something organic?

Thanks!
Billy

BTW, All your plants look really good! A wonderful idea.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I use 1/3 peat moss and 2/3 compost manure from walmart.
I use 13-13-13 , epsom salt, and calcium nitrate.
I also use Mittleider Magic Nutrients. Its not an absolutely must but helps alot.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

just hos deep are those things??

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I couldnt find a measuring tape. But guessing 10-11 inches deep in the center. I try to put the Deep root plants in the center and the shallow to the outside.

I did alot today.

now have on my Deck Container Garden:
Better Bush Tomatoes, SuperHeavyWeight Bell Peppers , Big Bertha Bell Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper, Hot Banana Pepper, Sweet Banana Peppers, Cayenne Pepper, Gypsy Peppers, Paminto Peppers, Salvia, Dusty Miller, Petunias, Impatiens, Coleus, Bee Balm, Rose Mary, Marigolds, Straight neck Squash, Crimson Sweet Watermelon, AThena Cantaloupes.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Cricket - You have been busy. Go Girl!! Looking Good! Ed

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

some close ups--some of the older ones

Egg plant went wild

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

some of the newer ones. close up

Squash and Cantaloupe in this one

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes I am crazy.

Squash and Watermelon In one of the Planters.. Put a pepper plant , some impatiens and a water melon in the Picutured Planter. (in left Planter)
I will only let the watermelon vine produce 3-4 melons and let the vine run down the deck.

My Step Dad asked My mother-- Why did she build a deck for container plants.
My only question was what else was I goin to do with it besides walk on it. ITs nice and neat. No grass. No Weeds.

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Cricket, you've made a nice container garden out of barrels. I thought your greenhouse better beefsteaks tomatoes were awesome. But both your plant slectio and soil mixture used in the barrels shows a creativity of thought and perception I only wish I had. I'll never look at a barrel again w/o thinking of your project and the one Big Red from TX did.

BTW, I know how hot it gets in AL and know you said you only water once a week. Let us know whether you or how you managed watering during the hottest weather. For example, I'm thinking the melon will need to be watered more. How many barrels did you end up planting?
Bernie

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

So far only did a total of 31 1/2 barrels.
I still have 7 half barrels to fill up. Just haven't got around to it yet.

This message was edited May 9, 2006 7:01 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

everything growing so nicely. Probly over planted in the barrels but LIVE and Learn.

Squash

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Turnip Greens.
It wont be long and I can have Pot Liquir

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I cannot wait to see how the watermelons do.

slow growers

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This is a view of the barrel planters on my deck..
Under-Construction.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

some close up

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW!! Your deck is sooo big!!!! I love the ide of planting those in the barrels! I will have to show my hubby :)
I might rather the huge deck instead :)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

this is the end of the deck that you cannot see in other pictures-- The resting area that never gets used.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

An update.
the plants are about 2 feet tall now.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Update:

I have to water every other day now.
The plants are bearing alot of veggies.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Update Picture.

Hollywood, FL

Cricket, beautiful flowers and veggies.

I did something similar--I cut a big drainage pipe in half and then raised it up on legs. I love these 'containers'.

Snip, snip and you have a salad. Sure easy on my bad back. :)

Thumbnail by Cowpea
Hollywood, FL

Here is another shot.

Thumbnail by Cowpea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.