Bare Root Raspberries??

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know how bareroot raspberries look? Because I just purchased 2 sets of three varieties from Walmart. They are bareroot from a company called Nurserymen's Exchange Co., d/b/a The BloomRite. Anyway, I opened 2 of them to check the roots and both look like sticks with no root.

I will say that there is "some" (I use that word loosely) itty, bitty, teeny, tiny possible roots, but not what I expected to see. You almost need a magnifying glass to consider the tiny growth as "roots." Less than 1/16". Should I just take them back, or is this ordinary for bareroot raspberries? I've planted other bareroot products before and I know what a "root" likes, but this is irritatingly minute. The kicker is they have absolutely gorgeous packaging that could be framed; it must have cost a mint to produce the packages. There were also great directions and other relevent information too. I just don't get it. Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks.

Megan

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How annoying! The gorgeous packaging just makes it more irritating. I got my raspberries from Miller, and they had definite roots... I recall spreading them out in their planting holes.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I guess I'll bring them back and try Miller's. The directions even say to "spread the roots" when planting but there's nothing to spread. Thanks for the scoop on Miller's.

Megan

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

My Heritage Red Raspberries arrived from Stark Brothers on Friday - there are definately a LOT of roots to spread. Good luck!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I bought several of the same type vines, blackberry, raspberry, and grapes in the bags. Mine looked the same way. I wondered the same questions you had. None the less, I did put them in the ground and am still waiting for signs of life. It has been almost 2 weeks, no sign yet. I also bought 2 hydrangea plants in same bags,. Same thing. Looked like a dead stick. I planted them also, but no sign of life yet.
Since I bought them on sale, there's no return. I guess I'll just leave them in the ground and keep watering and see what happens.

Anyone else out there had experiences with these.............hopefully good ones ? Has anyone gotten these type plants that looked like the roots were healthy and viable ?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Like Critter, I use Miller. I got Blackberries from them and they had plenty of roots.
When you consider the time and effort, not to mention the anguish, why try to save that $ or 2. I've seen Strawberries plants at Wallys that were only packaging. (I've opened the boxes if not sealed and looked to find nothing but peat inside).
Remember, they drive hard bargains with their wholesalers, don't expect top grade.
Andy P

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I guess I learned a good lesson, but I was sure disapointed that's for sure. There are 2 Miller's in Watchdog, which one is it?

Thanks. :)

Megan

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

www.millernurseries.com

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Saraskeeper and lafko06 you might also consider Nourse (http://www.noursefarms.com/) which is in western MA. I got my plants from them last year and I was very impressed. I am growing Caroline raspberries. Had a few handfuls from plants I planted in late May and this year I have a very large patch that has spread from my initial dozen plants.

Georgetown, KY(Zone 6a)

You may also try Raintree Nursery, I've gotten loads of things from them, and everything has done well.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

In December I bought 12 Red Heritage Raspberries and 12 Blackberries ‘Arapaho’ & ‘Apache’ mix from Pense Nursery (http://www.alcasoft.com/pense/). They came bare rooted in January with nice roots. They shipped 12+ of each and I planted them the day they came. All have taken except for one Raspberry.

The Red Raspberries are already very full and over 3 foot high. They have flowered and set fruit as well. I already had ‘Arapaho’ Blackberries so I know they grow slower than the Raspberries. The new Blackberries have filled out and have started flowering as well.

I didn’t have room for all the plants in the ground so I planted a few in pots and they are growing nice and the Raspberries have flowered and fruited. I am very happy with my purchase. I had some questions and called them and left a voice message and they called me back the next day. The turnaround time was quick and they canes were well packaged and clearly labeled. I would buy from them again.

Good luck with your berries

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

dwallace59 - I am in total zone envy. Things are starting to leaf out here, but last average frost date is STILL 2-3 weeks away! My raspberries still look like sticks, but some of my other bare root stock are starting to wake up, so I'm hoping to see some green in them soon.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

kmom246

Sorry for the slow reply but I went further south to cool off for a week. ?? Yes living in Florida definitely has its advantages when growing plants. The down side is many of the cooler loving plants struggle with our long …. long wet hot summer.

We have so many options when choosing plants but we still always try to grow plants that are cold sensitive in our winters and other plants that need chill hours for others. So we hope for cool evenings with no freezing weather. But spring does come early. I have papaya, bananas, pomegranates, grapes, passion fruit, cattley guavas, tropical guavas, lemon, limes, Sunquats and Limequats on the plants already.

Dale

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I bought raspberries from Gurneys and had good luck. One plant didn't grow and when I called them they immediately sent 3 as a replacement. I told them only one didn't sprout but she said they were sold in lots of three so that was what she would be sending. They stand behind their products.

I have always had great customer service from them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.