When to plant my dahlia?

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

I know this could go in that forum, but I wanted to hear from those of you near seattle. When should I put the tubers in the ground?

Thanks!
Jburesh

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

This year will be my first year planting dahlias. I ordered them last summer. They said they would ship at the appropriate planting time for my area, mid May. So perhaps then. But wait and hear what other more-experience dahlia growers suggest.

Gwendalou

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

The dahlia forum has a lot of active Northwesterners so you might want to try there too.

Kyra

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

And I'll just chime in that those years I've planted tubers in ground in April, I lost a substantial number to rot. Too cold, too wet.
Last year I waited until May, even June for some and they did much better. You want the soil temps to be 50'ish reliably. We get cold out here in the hills, so unless you're in a really hot spot JBuresh, I'd wait until early May. Pot them up early if you want to get a jumpstart!

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks poochella,

I was hoping you'd see my post. :) I saw your pics of the Tulip festival. Since it looked like lots of tulips were opening, I friend and I are going on Thursday.

Thanks!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I just received 16 dwarf dahlia tuber clumps. They look very good! BUT, they were to ship when it was time to plant them so, now or May? Ther're Mignon, Patio Mix 8"-12". Different rules?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

KatyMac, do you intend to put them in pots? Pots next to the warm house protected from any extra rains would be okay. You don't need to water them until 6 inches sprout out- the tubers will provide the nutrients/moisture until roots develop.

If you intend to put them in the ground, I'd wait at least a couple weeks. I'm sorry I don't know Shelton's weather/temps better. The worst thing for dahlias is cold and wet tubers without roots to absorb anything: the tubers have no choice but to rot in those conditions. I would too!

April around here is so deceitful: sunny and warm one day, rainy, windy and putrid the next- as in our weather outside right now. I would pot them up for putting outside later, or just keep them from drying out until planting outside in a couple weeks.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Poochella, I've already potted my begonias in newspaper pots so I'll either do the same with these or wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.