Florida Natives?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Darius and I traveled to a nursery in Chiefland yesterday with the intent of checking out the wildflowers on the road sides along the way.

We found some lovely plants and took a couple of each. Found out later, that might not be quite legal so on the way home we behaved.

Here's the first:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Another: This one has a fern in with the blooming flowers. They were all in full sun.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

A black eyed susan?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And lastly, there was a bog/wet area by the road here. There are 2 plants which now have a home in one of my sunken bog bottles.

Any ideas on names for these?

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Hi Molly, the first one is a Southern Flea Bane, lovely plant to have. I can't see the leaves too well to try to Id the second picture. Can you get a closer look at the flowers and leaves?

It was great seeing you. I hope we can get together again soon.

Val

Val,

They are a little shocky right now. After more watering today, we'll see if they perk up for another photo session.

Thanks, good to see you again too. I miss yall lots.

Molly
:^)))

You posted at the same time as I did LOL. The third picture is some kind of Coreopsis, one of the bog plants looks like some sort of Pickerel Weed (Pontederia). i can't make out the other one.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

#2 is Phlox drummondii
#3 is most likely Coreopsis leavenworthii

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 9:43 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9a)

#3 is probably Coreopsis leavenworthii but it might be Coreopsis floridana. Here is a great link to compare the Coreopsis species native to Florida: http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/norcini/WFSeedProdISTMay2005/2005MayGermDormAR.pdf

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

We aren't suppose to carry a shovel and a bucket in our trunk to use for stops along side a lonely country road where beautiful flowers are ????

OOPS!

Lakeland, FL

Double oops. Corky

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Ditto!

okay, so today I did it the right way. The Friends of Nature Parks had a plant sale today.

I did the right thing and got all Florida natives. And I am very pleased with them all.

Wish I could name them all, but just canm't seem to remember the names and they didnt write them down for me.

And hey!!!!!!! there is a thunderstorm outside. I could never be so happy for some rain!!!!!!!

Molly
:^))))))

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes -- we REALLY needed this rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It rained something wonderful last night. The power kept flashing in the thunder and lightning, the satellite kept going off........and I JUST LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get out to see what wonders it has done to the garden.

Got the list out and figured out what I got yesterday:

Swamp Hibiscus,
Beautberry,Elliots Aster
Coreopsis
Clasping coneflower
Blanketflower
Black & Brown-eyed susans
Blue Eyed grass
Red Sage

Now I can't wait to get out and plant them.

Molly
:^))))

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep rained here. Woke up this am and just finished emptying the water buckets in the kitchen. Love te rain. Yea right. LOL

Buckets!!!!! Geesh, why didn't I think of that!!!! I should have. Am thinking of doing drip irrigation and catching the rain water is THE BEST way to do it.

Certainly not in the kitchen tho Jan. Sorry to hear you have leaks.

Molly

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

GOod morning all - Jan - sorry to hear about your leaks, but I was so excited about the rain last night. I've been up early and have already done one walk thru of the yard this morning, everything looks so good and I can plant today and not have to spend most of the day watering.
Enjoy the day everyone!!!

After my visit to the Morningside Nature Center and the native plant sale, I can see what these plants are now.

I was thinking the pink and white ones were rather phlox-ish and the other is a brown eyed susan. I know where all these plants are going in now, later today.

Breakfast first, grocery shopping, then gardening. I think I got that right.

Molly
:^))))

Alva, FL(Zone 9b)

RAIN? WE GOT PROBABLY 100 DROPS ALL TOLD. I'M SO GLAD MOST OF MY PLANTS ARE THE LOW WATER VARIETY SINCE I HAVE A WELL. THE ALVA AREA HAS BEEN EXTREMELY DRY. NOT THAT I'M BEING OVERCAUTIOUS BUT HAVE ALWAYS HAD A WELL AND LEARNED NOT TO BE WASTEFUL. SURE GLAD Y'ALL GOT SOME RAIN.

Yep, we needed that rain so bad, my hands wouldn't even sweat. The dirt roads clouded up so bad you couldn't see where you were going and the lanes were turning to dunes.

So much better today. But the sun is out and I still haven't got out to put those plants in.

Thinking real hard about it though.

Molly
:^)))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.