Second Time

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Or should I say 3rd time? I started my cool weather veggies last fall in Ft Lauderdale as usual, then I had to leave them when I moved up here to zone 8b and had to wait for last frost.

Before last frost we put in potatoes, sugar snap peas, onions, scallions, leeks, cauliflower and broccoli. Then when we thought last frost was gone, we put in tomatoes, strawberries, hot peppers, squash, watermelon, radishes, carrots, corn and cukes.

Well last frost didn't happen until last week and we lost many of the second plantings. I refuse to be a quitter, so I stopped at the feed and seed on the way back home and got some good sized starts of tomatoes, peppers and squash. We put them in yesterday along with some seeds of marigolds and sprouted garlic cloves. (Some critter was eating all our lettuce before we would get to it)

Many of these things need to hurry up and grow before it gets too hot for them.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Where about's in Fla are you, panhandle?

If its any consolation; I can't grow sugar snaps over winter--have to plant about Martin Luther King Day--and I seldom can do tomatoes, other warm veggies before March 1st.
Broccoli I start succesive transplants about Sept 1-15 and baby thru the heat and those usually produce just before Thanksgiving.
Debbie

Debbie,

They call us to be in North Central Florida. The panhandle is still due north of here, then hang a left.

We are 40 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico, inland and high and dry.

Since we moved up from S Florida last December, we are still learning the new zone thing. It will take some getting used to. I am also hopeful that with a different climate, we will be able to grow different kinds of veggies and with 5 acres, the more the better.

Molly

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Gator country.........for the basketball folks.

Gators? Basketball? hmm, now I am really confused.........

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I can tell you don't follow college basketball. LOL,
Bonnie

Bonnie, you are correct, I don't follow basketball.....or baseball......or football. But I really did believe the gators was a football team.

:^))))

My first thought was you got 'em in the bayous around there too! :)

Yes, I am "sports challenged"....I just "pretend" to watch and understand when some guys watching sports. Funny thing is, my boyfriends a PE Coach and I don't even think he realizes how ignorant of sports I am!

Molly--sounds like we are in a similar climate--sometimes (haven't seen one in a few years but...)we can have a freaky cold winter.
Debbie

Debbie,

I am suprised to see you are in zone 8b. But yes, I'm sure they are quite the same. When it gets cold, it gets very cold, just not for too many hours at a time.

Molly

Molly, I guess maybe I'm about 50-60 (maybe70) miles from the Gulf. I'm out on west side of Houston (burbs) away from all the concrete so definitely not zone 9--will often freeze out here when it doesn't down in Houston, proper.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.