Seedling Support Group

Audubon, NJ(Zone 6b)

How does your garden grow? Are plant and aquarium lights any good? Are purplish stems normal? My plants are growing nowhere! Help:-)
Deb in NJ

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I use 4' shop light fixtures with flourescent bulbs that I leave on from 6 a.m - 11 p.m.
Purplish stems may be normal on some plants. What are they and have you grown them before without purplish stems? I started some celosia the other day that not only have red stems but also a red edge on the leaves. That was a surprise, but since all look the same, I'm assuming it's normal.
How's the moisture level? What light are they getting? How long since they germinated and what size are they now? What are they planted in?

Collegeville, PA

Hi, Debra: I have always used flourescent lights with great success. This year I did pick up some aquarium/plant lights, and the plants have done noticeably better. Mickgene asks critical questions for us to determine what might be happening. I believe my seeds that didn't germinate was due to the soil (or peat pellets) being too cold. Some seeds just gotta be warm! Let's know what your set up is like and we will see what we can do to help.

Good luck ~Kimberly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.