Hibiscus Vs Crepe Myrtle

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I associate both of these with the lower south, but now I'm considering both for the front of my house. We have very sunny front yard, and I would like a small 10-15 feet ornamental tree - actually two. One will be right near the post light as you walk up the stairs from the driveway. The other tree will be at the foot of the stairs. I have decided that I would like the same tree.

I am looking for anyone with experience with either of these in zones 7 or 6. My zone seems to vary depending on the map that I look at.

Here is the post of the hibiscus tree that I am thinking of from Jackson and Perkins - I can't resist a sale!

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?superitem=38221&category_sel=292&header_sel=

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I got a Rose of Sharon, syracus last fall from Adventure Nursery. I pruned to shape already, and only have tiny buds so far. It's supposed to do well here in MD. I post a picture when she blooms. ........... I love a bargain!!!!!!! My husband doesn't think I HAVE to buy it if it's on sale, but I beg to differ. If it's more than 50% off it's a must.
Nikki

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I have a couple tiny Hibiscus syriacus trees/shrubs growing in a nursery bed along side my garage. I started them from cuttings taken from my mothers place in zone 5. Honestly I have been debating if these plants are worthy enough for a spot in my landscape. I guess I have never been overly impressed with Hibiscus syriacus, except when it is in bloom. I notice that the picture shows it growing more like a single trunk tree. All the ones that I have seen grow more like a multi-stemmed bush. I wonder if it will sucker more than a Crepe Myrtle.

On the other hand Crepe Myrtles are one of my favorite small trees and I have been thinking about adding a few more to my landscape (right now I just have a single 'Sioux'). They have much more winter character than Hibiscus, they are so beautiful in bloom and I find the leaves and new growth attractive. My few complaints about Crepe Myrtles are 1)they leaf out very late, 2) Japanese Beetles like them, and 3) they don't do much for wild life.

- Brent

My hibiscus tree has a rather large single trunk, large for a hibiscus tree. I bought it for aroung 40$ in a huge pot, I guess 5 gal or so. I hope I like it!.....I only have one, so even if it's not the greatest, it'll stay, unless it gets too buggy to control. I hate all the japanese beetles. I'm going to treat the yard with milky spore, but it hasn't stayed warm without being super windy. I've heard it takes two years to really work. Can you use anything else in the meantime, or would anything else kill the milky spore bacteria???

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

We have three hibiscus as well as a crepe myrtle that were on our property when we bought it. The hibiscus are planted in a grouping and, like Brent's, are multi-stemmed. I haven't had much of a problem with suckering, although more than with the crepe myrtle -- which does not seem to sucker at all. The hibiscus make nice cuttings for floral arrangements, if you get to them before the japanese beetles. . . . I find japanese beetles are attracted to both (grrr . . . .) and can really damage what would otherwise be lovely blossoms. I also find the crepe myrtle preferable because they don't grow so fast so need much less pruning and maintenance, the bark adds a lot of winter interest, and they are just all around lovely small trees.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

So far it looks like the crepe myrtles are winning!

I did just recieve a crepe myrtle seedling. I have no idea how long it will take to plant in the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.