Corn in Whiskey Barrels?

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love to grow some corn, but only place sunny enough would be where I don't really want to dig. I was thinking about doing my corn seeds in 1 or 2 whiskey barrels. How many ears of corn grow on each stalk?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You get 1 full sized ear and 1 smaller ear usually (and if you're lucky) Sweet corn will be difficult at best to get enough pollination going to get much of a harvest. If you like the look of the plants, I'd say go ahead, but just mentally figuring, you'll have about 10 to 12 stalks max to a barrel...that translates to about 20 ears of corn per barrel.

Some of the dwarf indian corns or popcorns may look pretty. Strawberry Popcorn produces 2-4 ears per stalk that look like large strawberries. It's a shorter variety and may lend itself to a container. Baby Fingers is a small, colorful Indian corn. Plants are only 5 to 6 foot tall....still 1 to 2 ears though.

Both are vended through Seed Savers Exchange retail catalog.
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/5/

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the advice. Actually, if I got 40 ears of corn from 2 barrels, I would be okay with that.
That would mean that my family could enjoy corn for 4th of July, or another summer holiday.

I think I will do it.
Btw, I've got Bon Appetit, and Incredible varieties.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 6:27 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'd say give it a whirl...be sure to feed it well, corn is a heavy feeder.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I'd try it too, nothing to loose, corn to gain if it works

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And I hear corn whiskey is good stuff, too! I imagine you'll have a fine crop, SalemSunshine!

(edited cus I thought PeggieK was gonna grow the whiskey, not SalemSunshine) (oops, I mean "grow the corn"!)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 5:57 PM

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

An experiment...

I had corn seedlings ready, I don't have my whiskey barrels yet, and temps are still too low anyway I think.

I had a bale of peat moss sitting unopened since last summer. I wrapped it in black plastic, and then poked holes through the top and planted my corn seedlings, peat pot and all. I've got 18 across the top so far, but may have to thin out if they all make it. We'll see.

I will keep you all posted.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL, Horseshoe. Leave it up to someone from North Carolina to notice that. I was wondering if she was getting ready to make moonshine, too.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and after you make the moonshine, we need to put it in our gas tanks....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah! grinnin' at ya Woodspirit! (Takes one to know one, eh?)

and yes...DJM...gas here is 2.93/gal (regular), over 3 bucks for the higher grades. No fair! We need to get some corn gas growing, eh?

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Shoe, It aint just NC, we have an ethanol plant just west of us and our gas is right close to your price. They'll git you one way or another

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Huffy...guess the only way around it is to make our own, eh? OH well....dream on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.