Aconitum is Monkshood

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

So this weekend I'm going through all the seeds I've collected through seed exchanges and purchases and trades and prepare to sow them. Read up on each one as to how it should be handled and sown. I come across a packet of Aconitum napelleus. On the Ontario Rock Gardening site I read that they are very toxic. Warning wash hands after handling! I Read further and find they can damage your cardiovascular and gastrointestinal system. Well I want nothing to do with that and have no interest in propagating such a dangerous plant much less growing it in my own garden. I toss the seeds in the garbage.

This morning I decide to check the Plant Scout to see who sells this killer and find that it's a monkshood. I already have several growing in my own garden. lol. Had no idea they were toxic. Anyone ever have a run in with one of these bad boys? Just how toxic are they.

jb

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Something very similar to me happened last year. I had purchased a plant at a nursery, upon their recommendations, and when I came home and looked it up on the computer, find out it's listed as a noxious weed here in WA and is actually illegal to have in Colorado!! Causes severe burns on the skin if you touch the milky sap inside the stems or something. The info online was quite alarming!

I tossed it into the garbage can. I see it *everywhere*, both in yards and at nurseries. I forget the name but I'm willing to bet half the members here have it in their yards, it's so common. It comes in many varieties too.

It's funny how I can cope with poinsonous plants I'm familiar with (foxglove, poinsetta, etc.) but the new stuff, I just don't want to bother with.

Gwendalou

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Was it a Euphorbia? Some of those are noxious and invasive. Another one it could be is Giant Hogweed.

Yes, plants that I am familiar with are fine. Rhodies are pisonour for heavens sake. I wish I hadn't thrown these out. I'll know better next time. Though I am glad to know as I will be collecting seed from my monkshoods this coming fall.

jb

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, that's exactly what it was! Euphorbia, I can never remember that name.

Gwendalou

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gee I'm in big trouble: I have Euphorbia, Monkshood AND digitalis along with Nightshade. When we bought our house, the former owner kicked a weed and said " of course you know what this is: nightshade- deadly poison." I have long since forgot what it looked like, but it nor the other three have killed us yet.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh my god Poochella, I hope you dont have any Rhododendrons. Their leaves are poisonous and can kill at twenty paces.

:))))
jb

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All plants have chemical (medicinal) properties some favorible some toxic. Monkshood is a beautiful tall spectacular plant that we here in montana love. As a veterinarian I have never identified it as a cause of trouble. But our patients never tell us what they ate when they are sick. I wish they did. Almost all house plants are highly toxic and I have identified many of them as culprits. I remember a herd of cow dying in California when they were placed in a hay field that was next to Oleander bushes. Opps 3 leaves can kill a cow. the poision list is a mile long and then you start with irritants, then edible stalks but not leaves etc.

Sitka, AK

Don't forget the Daphne, very fragerant this time of year, leafs out and red berries after blooms fall off. Every bitof this beauty is poisonous.

Thumbnail by akgamer
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Hope the kids don't start munching on the rhubarb leaves.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Hey that's a deciduous Daphne. We just picked up one of those at the nursery. Haven't decided where to plant it yet. Have to look it up to see if it likes shade like other daphnes. Sometimes the deciduous varieties of plants are different. Deciduous azaleas for instance like sun.

jb

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

One that everyone stays away from is delicious. Nettle when rubbed in your hands takes away the sting and makes good salad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.