Most Fragrant Petunias...

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Which petunias did you find to be the most fragrant? Please share your comments and pictures, if you have them!

Denise

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Denise,
Although I am very partial to my 'OF Vining', I would have to say that so far the 'Surfinia Blue Veined' is the sweetest I have tried. I got it as a plant last year and while it perfumed everything around, the plant was sickly and died before the Summer was thru. I am getting another one this yearr to try it again.

Tried to link to a pic but it didn't work :( will find another as they aren't in the PF here.
Can't get the links to work- sorry!

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 5:09 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The most fragrant I've come across, and my favorite, is a purple called 'Dreams Midnight' http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/97689/

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Moby,
Are you going to grow it this yr?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

http://www.flowerscentgardens.com/petunia.htm This site is highly rec. by Dave's members - here's the Petunia he has listed...although there might be a delay in shipping as he's had a recent death in his family. You can buy these as plants or seeds on his site.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks chantell! Believe it or not, I had just now remembered[having a bad memory day it seems] that Glen had a pic of it on his site and I was going to link to it when I saw you had already did it. Great minds think alike- lol!!

zville,
The pic of the Surfinia is there.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - now if I can get all those seeds planted before summer comes...boy will things be smelling NICE!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You bet I'll grow it this year!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

In case anyone is interested, here's a list of petunias that are reputed to be fragrant:
Appleblossom Dreams
Burgundy Dreams
Midnight Dreams[ AKA Dreams Midnight]
Carpet Pink
Old-Fashioned Vining/ Kentucky Old-Fashioned [IMO, the same plant]
Balcony
White Eclipse
Priscilla
Blue Spark Cascadia
Candyfloss
Firechief
Laura Bush
Rainmaster
California Giants
Alderman
Rose-purple Vein
Strawberry [not sure this name is correct]
Sugar [not sure this name is correct]
Purple Pirouette Hybrid
Red Pirouette Hybrid

Series: note: not all cultivars are fragrant
Surfinia Series
Supertunia Series
Celebrity Series
Daddy Series
English Ladies Series
Frills & Spills Series
Ultra Series
That's all I have time for now- LOL! Please everyone feel free to add more.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 5:35 PM

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thanks everyone, for sharing! Please feel free to add more LOL. I'm just discovering petunias and, as with any flower, I prefer those that are fragrant.

Denise

Edison, NJ

noticed none of the replies for fragrant petunias were in the north--since i'm in new jersey, do you think i will be able to find any of those listed? one year i was able to get the most delicious smelling petunias, went back the next year to the same place, couldn't find them &asked someone there, and they told me there was no such thing! i told them i had bought some there, and they gave me a look that said i had a good imagination. any help would be appreciated, thanks

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Do you recall the name of the petunias you bought that smelled good? I haven't seen any of the one's listed above at my local stores. I did buy some seeds to start my own. That's probably the best way to go if you want a particular kind. This is my first year starting from seed. I didn't start early enough, I guess, because mine are just small sprouts now. Next year, I'll have to start in January LOL!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

HYPERLINK@www.flowerscentgardens.com
Try his site....

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

In addition to the great site Chantell listed, you can get great smelling pets from J.L. Hudson, Wildseed Farms, SSE, and Select Seeds. The latter has several great varieties!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy...more good sites...I'm going to be so broke...but happy and broke!! LOL

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I've got my petunias started for this year...although I probably should've started them sooner. I ordered seeds from Flower Scent Gardens, but due to family illness/death, I've yet to get the seeds...so they'll be wonderful next year! Thanks to berrygirl, I'll have some wonderful pets for this year, too!

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Just a little FYI for next year: Petunias are GREAT candidates for winter sowing! I just sprinkle the seeds on top of regular potting soil [that I have placed in a labeled container] and forget about them. Come Spring I have TONS of babies. I actually have much more success growing them this way than I do when I sow in the Spring.

zville, you are too sweet!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

J.L. Hudson carries the Old Fashioned Vining Petunia, and if you haven't ordered form that company, you should try it. 100 percent satisfaction (check Garden Watchdog) and $1.00 shipping, Safe Seed Pledge, etc. I've had excellent results from them. Many many hard to find seeds.

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I just ordered other types of seeds from JLHudson, and they arrived in Ohio from CA in 2 days! And they do have a huge variety! The other places I like to order from are Select Seeds, Swallowtail Garden Seeds (best deal on Moon Flower Vine seeds), Value Seeds (Thompson & Morgan discount site) and Alchemy Works. Each has certain types of seeds that are hard to find elsewhere.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Just wanted to bump this back up. There seems to be a lot of talk about petunias lately on DG. "Pets" are by far my FAVORITE annual, though some are perennial for me.

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree, berrygirl! Pets are great! This year, I'm trying the new pink 'Laura Bush.' Any new suggestions?

Denise

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

berry...when do you start the WS of petunias?

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

zville,
LOL! You mean you've tried every pet on that list and are wanting more? LOL!!

sticks,
I try to WS in the late fall-early winter- usually Oct- Jan. I try to copy Nature as much a possible. I dont have to WS pets too much, as they are fab re-seeders.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Was just gonna say...I cut back the brown and just left the hanging basket "as is" through the winter...I've got all kinds of little leaves poking their heads up now111

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm always open to new pets (or any plant for that matter) that smells good LOL! I like to keep certain plants in the back of my mind for when I'm checking out plant sales. Oh, I'm so glad that warm sunny weather is returning :~)

Denise

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Petunias are some pretty amazing little plants. When I was little I used to watch the hummingbird moths visit the blossoms in the evening, that is until the mosquitos drove me away. And I will always remember the heady fragrance they emitted on humid summer evenings. I hope to relive some of these memories this summer with my old-fashioned vining petunias, though now sans mosquitos! :-)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

... and that is what fragrant gardening is about ~ memories! : ))

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

I dont' keep track of names, however, I have found that the most fragrant petunias in local nurseries are the really dark pinks and purples. The darker and richer the color, the better the fragrance.

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I find that to be true, too, gardenerme. However, on top of being fragrant, I like a pet that can hold up under heavy rain. And reblooms well after being cut back. Not too much to ask, right LOL? (Excuse me if what I say today doesn't make sense...rough day today...death in the family...my oldest, most ornery cat past away quickly and unexpectedly).

Denise

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

denise...so sorry about your losses....take care of you and yours and prayers and hugs from our end:)

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Yeeks! Sorry!

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the sentiments all...shouldn't have blurted it out...it was a rough day.

Denise

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I recently received an order from Flower Scent Gardens (sadly closing this year) which contained 'White Eclipse' and 'Rose-Purple Vine' petunias. The fragrance on both is incredibly heady and wonderful. Last night, I could jsmell ust two open blooms on the 'White Eclipse' from at least 5 feet away, and it was not even that warm or humid. All of my windowboxes and hanging baskets this year have been planted with these two petunia varieties along with the 'Old-Fashioned Vining' petunias that I started from seed myself. I can't wait to see how they will turn out!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

waaaaahhhh i want some:)

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm waiting for an order from Flower Scent Gardens, too. I didn't order pets, as I still have seeds I bought from him last year (I'm using them this year). I really sorry to see that business close down :~( But, I guess I can understand that he wants to start a new chapter in his life.

Has anyone close to my zone had luck with their pets reseeding and coming up the next year?

Denise

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Denise,
The ones of his I planted last year from seed - did reseed themselves. The hanging basket they were in (I left it out over the winter even) is full of green leaves right now. I also gathered quite a bit of them last fall. I'd ordered the purple ones from him.

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I came across this old thread and wanted to add to it. I've had wonderful experiences with many fragrant pets since these postings. My favorites are Laura Bush, Laura Bush Pink, Rainmaster, Balcony Mix, Old Fashioned Vining, White Eclipse. I love that they reseed, which means most of my pets that come back on their own are crosses of all of the above. Petunias have definitely made my list of "need to have" plants because they're easy and smell fantastic. If anyone wants to add any new fragrant pets, I love to hear about them!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Funny you "brought" this thread back...was at my local Ace Hardware...trying to figure out the source of a wonderful scent...was actually a WAVE petunia of all things - creamy white/yellowish eye...and scented right smack in the middle of the day to boot!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Funny you mentioned it, I picked up my taxes on the 14th and to cheer up, walked across the street to the local Ace hdwe. Their sidewalks are covered with plants. An elusive fragrance caught my attention and I dropped to my hands and knees sniffing till I found it! (not a pretty sight on main st. ~ LOL) This was a dark purple vining petunia loaded with blooms. Of course it is now mine! I put it in the truck and swooned at the fragrance at going home time. The odor was exquisite...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Love those generic dark purple ones best...I'd already scooped those up from Wally World.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.