Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Empress"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Here she is upclose

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Snow Queen" got Planted today along with Clematis "Niobe" and "Ramona"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Spooneri"..is full of buds...finally one opened..will share when its all abloom...Hope you enjoyed...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

They are ALL beautiful! I absolutely LOVE C. "Empress"! Gotta add that one to my wish list!! The rose colored stripes are really set off against the delicate background color of lighter pink. Are the stamen a rosy pinkish color?

"Daniel Deronda" looks great this year especially against your light colored bricks! Is he growing on an obelisk next to your house? Whom did you pair him with?

I only have "Ramona" (she's still growing in her 1 gallon container from last year). Don't have "Snow Queen" or "Niobe". I'll need to remedy that situation! :~)

C. Spooneri's beauty is shown through its simple elegance. What are you growing with it?

My growing season is probably 4-6 weeks behind yours. All my Clematis have broken dormancy and are beginning to grow. Can't wait until they have flower buds. Won't be long now!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley..I have Clematis "Spooneri" ( Spooneri was a gift from Debbie last year) growing up and behind my Hibiscus and it has grown to the top of the resin lattice panels that we attached to the fence..it is all the way up and growing sideways on the top of the lattice
I have Clematis "Daniel Deronda" growing on a trellis next to my Rosa "Belinda's Dream" which is a gorgeous pink..so can't wait till she has blooms so I can share a pic with them blooming together...I tell ya tho that "Daniel" has sent up tons of new vines this year..Next Year I may have to consider getting a more substantial trellis for him..larger at least!!
Ramona...has buds opening now and will share pics..I planted her on an Pyramid-shaped Obelisk to the right of my new arbor and surrounded her with bulbs called Mexican Shellflower..so I anxiously anticipate their emerging so I can see them all together...
Can't wait to see pics of your Clematis this year..won't be long huh?...How many years have you had your Clematis in your Gardens?...Mine are only 2 and 3 years old...because we moved into our new home 4 years ago...thanks..Jeanne

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Jeanne, that Empress is really a winner in my book. Nice, well super nice.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jeanne--I've thought about expanding out on my clematis down here. I have the native pitcheri--do yours die back to the ground in the heat of summer and come back up in the fall? I'm basing this on someone who grows them in Galveston. Great pics by the way!
Debbie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jim..kiss kiss
Debbie ...I don't have the native Pitcheri..but yes Clematis die back each winter and have to be pruned..the trick to growing clematis in our warmer hotter more intense zones is to plant them where they only get half a days sun...preferable morning from daybreak till about 1pm if possible..and they NEED to stay moist..I water almost every other day...
Yall, I woke up this morning and just had to share this pic..see how much more Purplish looking "Daniel" looks when he is first opening and then turns bluer as he ages??

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

and Clematis "Asao" is blooming!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I do love the florescent pink color of "Asao" and the bars are so illuminating...upclose..yum yum

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Ramona" opened some blooms for me this morning..such a wonderful light blue!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Isn't "Ramona" so delicate??

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Look who starting blooming this morning...Clematis "Dr. Ruppel"..

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Dr. Ruppel" has tons of buds

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And My Mutant Clematis that Blooms both "Etoile Violet" and "Ernest Markham" let Clematis "Ernest Markham" bloom first

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No Jeanne--I mean die back to the ground in the heat of summer and come back up in the fall.

Again, great pics; who's your plant source?
Debbie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

No mine don't die down to the ground in the heat of the summer because I keep them moist..some of the bottom leaves may get brown but that is all...I have bought some from her as well as Walmart,Joycreek,Brushwood,Chalkhill and others....

Talk about a gorgeous parade of Clematis blooms!

What is this about a "mutant" Clematis that blooms in two different colors and at two different seasons?

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lovely blooms and first one is the best one, this the color that is on the top of my wanted Celamatis vine list.
Thanks for sharing.
Kaleem

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley...the clematis I am referring to I got from Debbie..I ONLY planted ONE vine with my climbing Rosa "Abraham Darby" and it blooms BOTH "Etoile Violet" and "Ernest Markham"...People kept saying you must have planted both and I said NO, I only planted the one clematis "Etoile Violet" !!..When I told Debbie I wasn't crazy 'cause I know what I planted there she laughed and said she had one that did the same thing...so mine must have came from her Mommie plant for she said the one she has does the same thing...go figure..but, hey I ain't complain' it's like two for one..LOL..glad yall enjoyed...One that I bought from Wallyworld that was mislabled that I potted up and kept that way all winter got planted in February and guess what..It started blooming yesterday and It's definitely "Dr. Ruppel"..but that is ok I love that clematis..what am I talking about??..I love 'em all...Jeanne

Sheesh! Two Clematises for the price of one! Wonder if any of mine will have that "mutant factor"! Time will tell....

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, JeanneTX, for the great pics of your "Asao".
I'm thinking of ordering that one along with "Andromeda" http://store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/andromeda.html from Chalk Hill. (Thanks to Shirley for the link to Chalk Hill in another thread!)

Would I have any problems training these along a horizontal fence/trellis? I've got a long length that needs something, without going too high. (No more than 2 feet high perhaps.)

If you have a long fence to cover, you might want to consider the Montana group. They can grow up to 20ft long. I love 'Asao' and 'Andromeda', but they won't get as big as a Montana will.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cheryl..is your fence only 2 feet tall?

Glad you asked that question, Jeanne! I wasn't quite sure about the height of the fence/trellis either!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis Proteus opened this morning...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Isn't "Proteus" such a soft color??...Love this one...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

my dr ruppel started to bloom as well! isn't it exciting?!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Jeanne & Shirley,

Actually, there IS no fence just yet. But I need to put something along the top of a low wall to act as a screen & dog fence. The wall runs from chest-high down to nothing along the side of our yard. The ground on the other side of the wall is even with the top of the wall, and it's a pretty, shady grass "alleyway" used by some neighbors and their dogs.
(I'll post pics later in a new thread.)

Jeanne, "Proteus" is very lovely. Does that slight tint lean more toward pink or blue? (Hard to trust computer monitor color!)

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne, your clematis are gorgeous. I planted a purple in early fall and was so elated when it popped up this spring. We have clay soil, so needless to say I have lost a lot of plants over the years. Are they all as easy to grow as the one I have planted as I do not really know the exact name of it. I really enjoy all plants but am particularly interested in climbers, natives and succulents. I will continue to watch your pictures -- a definite treat.
Carol

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Carol..since Clematis like to have their roots stay moist...NOT Standing in water mind you..but moist..they like our Clay...mine is amended via raised beds and Lasagna Gardening..
Cheryl..Proteus is more a silver gray..does that help..
Man on man my clematis are really starting to pop everywhere!!
Here is "Comtesse de Bouchard" today!! Over to the left is ONE Rose bush...David Austins "Cottage Rose" that is only suppose to get 3 feet tall by 3 feet wide..duh..yea right..not in Texas sun!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Let's get just a bit closer to "Comtesse"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Did I hear you say closer???!?!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok..one last shot but I have tons more buds waiting to open..so this one will be blooming for weeks!~

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Solina" started opening today

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Considering "Solina" was just planted back in Feb..I think she did good for her first bloom cycle

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Both Clematis "Comtesse" and "Solina" are beautiful! I'd say that "Solina" was doing great for her 1st bloom cycle!! Your added back drop of colorful Roses adds to the exquisite beauty in your garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.