not propagation, perhaps rejuvanation

Samson, AL(Zone 8b)

My grandmother used to take her Geraniums in the fall out of the dirt and place them into a brown paper bag. I did that this past fall for two lovely colors I didn't think I could find again. Now I need to plant them for summer and I don't remember what she did when she took them out of the paper bag to ready them for planting. Does anyone know of this old remedy? I really want these to succeed.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have never heard of this method, but I can tell you what I would do. I assume there is a rootball, but not sure if you shook the dirt off. I would just repot them, water well, leave in a shady place for a day or two, or until you see new growth and then put them in a sunny window area until they look strong enough to put outside in the full sun. When you do that, then I would start to fert them. Geraniums can take 40 degree and above nights easy, so it won;t be long before you can put them outside fulltime-when they are growing again.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I love the "old" stories. I hope someone has heard of the this method and can tell you the "ending", although the above advice sounds good to me.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My grandmother did the same thing. She would dig the geraniums up, cut them back about half way and store them in the cellar(not heated, but the temperature never got below freezing). In spring she would take them out, soak them in warm water for an hour or two and then plant.
I tried saving my geraniums that way several times, but it never worked because I didn't have a cellar(garages usually get too cold and attics get too hot and both places are too dry). My friend saved hers under the crawl space of her house and that method worked for her.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Cala,
This sounds familiar- LOL!! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/549045/

I am glad to see others know about the "under the house" method of storage.

Samson, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you one and all for your ideas. I think I will combine advice from tigerlily123 and Calalily. In about a month I will post my results. I have a good feeling about this. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.