Choisya ternata

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone grow this beautiful shrub? If so, would you please indicate your zone and the conditions under which it is grown. (Not all members include their State and zone - that's why I asked for this). I grew it in England and it was the best shrub I ever had, excluding Ceanothus!

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Louisa,

According to my source this is a zone 8-10 plant. It looks like you are too cold for it.

I hope you are having a good time in your new home. I am really enjoying the cooler weather. I took the weekend off.

puttyrat

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Diane - nice to see you again. Sorry I didn't mail you. But I will :-) Now about this shrub! If I protected it surely I could give it a try - sort of create a mini-climate for it. Perhaps up against a south facing wall with protection from the winds!! How about Viburnum tinus Eve Prince - do you know of it?

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi again,

There are so many Viburnums, I had to look that one up. "Dirr" says once established it is hardy to 0 degrees F. You may want to shelter it the first year or so. As for the other plant, if you really love it try protecting it like you said. I have missed Daves garden. I came on tonight trying to ID a daylily. I posted it in the day lily forum.

Sally aka puttyrat

I have seen this shrub listed as being hardy into zone 7 (Dirr, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants). If you are at the warmer end of zone 7 (7b) you should be able to get away with it in a warm microclimate. Like Louisa said, a south facing wall is best.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, forgive me for callin you Diane!!! Don't know if I'm on my head or my heels lately!! I do know most of the viburnums, but this one again is very special - evergreen with flowers through the winter and into spring. Jerseyguy thanks for the support - I think I may give this a try. Now all I have to do is to find them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/chte-i.htm

This link has a lot of great info that may help. I have not grown it myself so I leave you in the hands of the mor knowledgable!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Zany - there is hope yet then. Checked out the link and yes, hardy to zone 7. Great news!!

Woodlanders Nursery in Aiken S.C. sells Choisya mailorder. They are favorite nursery of mine, the prices are reasonable and the quality is good.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jerseyguy - will try them!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.