Please look at these fantastic tulips! Anyone recognize it?

West Richland, WA(Zone 7a)

I planted these bulbs in the fall of '04 but forgot what they are called. They are so gorgeous and I feel, unique. The varigated coloration on the petals is amazing. These were the first of my tulips to bloom. The stems are rather short with the leaves having an almost rippled effect. I am so taken with them that I felt I had to share!

-Stacey

Thumbnail by designmom
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Stacey, those are very beautiful! I'm glad you shared them with us. I'm getting very excited to vist Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm in Woodburn, OR. I really need to get up there soon!

BTW, welcome to DG!

Mendy

Thumbnail by mgh

Mendy-

What a picture! Is that from the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm? Where is Woodburn? I am not familiar with it. My Mom has been up to the Skagit Valley to see all the tulips and daffodills there and said it was truly amazing. I just love spring!

-Stacey

Yes, I took that picture at Wooden Shoe last year. Woodburn is about 45 minutes south of Portland on I-5. You can see more pics from my visit there last year here if you want: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/498600/

I have never been to Skagit Valley to see the tulips there. Would love to go though. It really is truly amazing to see fields and fields of them all at once! I think I'm going to try to get back up to Wooden Shoe around the second week of April. Their web site says they are expecting full bloom then.

Thumbnail by mgh
Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

That's Princess Irene- first tulip I ever fell in love with and still one of my favorites. You are way ahead of me. I planted 100 of these and they aren't quite up yet. I'm up on the Sammamish Plateau, so everything seems to bloom a bit later than Seattle and Bellevue.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2006 9:53 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, Kyra, you are so right, Princess Irene is one awesome tulip and I had a pot of her one year with jolly joker pansy at the base of the tulips. Pretty pretty if I say so myself. I planted almost 100 spring before last too, Kyra, great minds think alike.lol

Mendy, if you go to Wooden Shoe and don't stop , you are in big trouble, I am only 3 miles from them.lol My oldest daughter works in the outside garden annex.

Okie dokie, Joann, you're on! LOL Wanna go together? Maybe I can kidnap Carol too. Anybody else wanna go?

Last year at the RU my DH remembered your daughter from when we went to Wooden Shoe. She helped us when we had a question about something. I didn't recognize her at first, but he did, which is a big surprise. ;-)

Kyra,

Thank you for the info on the tulips. I found them at Lowe's in 2004 so now I want to look for more this Fall and just load my front garden bed with them. The colors are so fabulous. I just want to sit out there in the warm sun and stare at them!

I am actually in SE. WA so a lot of things are blooming here a little earlier than in many other areas of WA or OR. It was near 70 degrees today here in the Tri-Cities. Hard to believe it is not quite April. Several of my tulips and daffodils are actually nearing their end. The heat is a little much for them! Gorgeous weather today!!

-Stacey

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Sure, Mendy, let me know when you are going up there. I will see if I can go. I love tulips. It would be great to go with Joann too!
That is a great looking tulip tho. Is it a Darwin hybrid that does come back for a few years???
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Mendy and Carol, I still have plants that need homes like the daisies, helenium, and Maltese cross. Mendy, do you still have my phone number?

Joann, you have dmail. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.