new baby shrubs

Crozet, VA

Almost forgot that while out and about yesterday, I bought two shrubs for the yard. I bought them before fully deciding where to plant them. They are outside now, so I can't give their names, but both seem to be types of holly. The label said they can grow quite large, which now accounts for not knowing exactly where to plant them.

A month or so ago we planted 4 red twig dogwood bushes. I planted these due to hearing another gardner speak of using them for moisture control in his yard. I am hoping that they will help a damp backyard (if it ever rains again.)

While speaking of bushes. My husband dug up a butterfly bush that a friend of mine stuck a slip of in a small rock garden two years ago, and which grew quite too large for the area and needed a new home. He said that the roots were a few feet long and it was actually two bushes. I am hoping that it is not damaged from the move and will do as well in the new larger home.

Until I sit down here to read and write, I don't realize just how much I have going on in terms of gardening. I am surprising myself. I can raise my hand and join the club of those who say - My name is Ruby and I am addicted to gardening. haha Could be worse things, huh?

Thank you all for giving me a place to come and be able to think coherently about my gardening plans. Have a good day all.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah Ruby...LOL We've been discussing AA for Plant People and "enabling" one another etc. etc. etc. in other forums...so funny to see you write that. Mine isn't just an outside situation...it's the inside plants too. Someone mentioned the term zone envy in another post...oh funny is that? But it's what I have!! Looking at all my cactus/succulents and thinking...what have I done? But you love them!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a promblem........ I admit it, but who wants to recover.........One of few healthy addictions. That's what I tell myself anyway. I just got two burning bushes and a weigela on a whim. The burning bushes are in the back yard perimeter........no problem. But, the Weigela, I put in the front where I'm planning another bed, but I wanted to create a small berm, so I might have to move it........Not sure.......Nikki

Crozet, VA

Chantell and Nikki - How funny. I am familiar with recovery, but like you two, plan to "run" with this particular addiction. Thinking on it a little bit has made me realize that this gardening stuff really is a very healthy habit.

I have not worked in 13 years due to having an autoimmune system disease. Each year it seems that my health improves. I cannot become stressed or I will certainly begin to suffer physically.

Having worked for about 20 years left me with an enpty void in my life. Up until last year, I dabbled here and there with different types of hobbies. None have held my interest like the gardening one has.

So, in place of pain pills, I take time to nurture my plants, whether indoors or out. I now have an interested that fits almost all bills. I can do this year round and do it either inside or out. Can't beat that folks.

I am really enjoying and learning alot by belonging to these boards.

Ruby

I love Dave's Garden!! Learning sooooo much!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,

I've found that gardening is like yoga or meditation...it blocks everything else out of my mind. Total stress relief! I can spend an entire weekend gardening, from morning till dark, and not get tired of it.
This year, I've got a whole new blank canvas, as we just moved to a 'new' home with a huge back & side yard.

Ruby, do you recall where you saw info about red-twig dogwoods controlling moisture? I've been considering planting some, and that would definitely be a plus.
Thanks.

Cheryl

Congratulations Cheryl on your new home. That's sooo great! Show us your progress.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.