Onion Grass

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Is there any organic way of controlling this? Pre-emergent herbicides like corn gluten will of course do nothing to them, and if I dig it all up in the yard (and you never dig it ALL up; there's always a miniscule quarter of a bulb that survives and propogates) it'll look like gopher town. Please, does anything work for any of you?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I just mow ours, Zeppy. Eventually the topgrowth will dwindle and not be so invasive. (Cutting the topgrowth on a regular basis will keep from sending energy to the bulb and it will eventually lose its vigor.)

Course now, you can always clip the topgrowth and use it as chives, ya know! :>)

Thanks, Shoe! You've given me hope. It grows such a lot quicker than grass, so I'll just carry my little shears around and snip it where I see it.

I may also stamp on it a bit. :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe..the "Onion Grass Stomp"...♫ ♫ Boom shaka-laka-laka-boom/stomp!♫

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Only grows in the winter here--but its evil cousin--nutgrass.....takes over in the summer. One of ther ever present thorn's in the side of my organic practices. I've seen nutgrass come up thru 2 feet of mixed mulch. So if your onions are anything like my nutgrass--you have my deepest sympathies. :)
Debbie

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

you could make soup zep!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Have you ever seen a clam gun? it is a cylinder that is open in one end and a small hole at thumb level. Well it cuts easily down in sand to suck the clam out. If you have soil that is not full of rocks I would use the clam gun and jam it over the onion starts and suck them up. The big areas you need to dig a big hole.

I haven't seen a clam gun, but it sounds fun so maybe I'll try that. I'm currently cutting the stuff and/or digging it. I *hope* it's not like nutgrass.

Roxroe, that would be a lot of soup. Might as well, while gathering dandelions for wine. Got a recipe for me?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Inch by inch everything is a cinch. One day of clam gunning = death to the onion trying to live in your garden wonderland. http://www.kamperswest.com/razor-clams.html This is what they look like.

Between that and my flame weeder, I'll be the envy of every guy in the neighborhood. AH hahahahha

SE PA, PA(Zone 6b)

Does flaming really help get rid of the onion grass? Really??? I have a flame gun and can get it set up quickly. I have LOTS and LOTS of onion grass---also lots and lots of creeping charlie. Yee-haw!!!

Oh, dear. No, I'm very sorry to get your hopes up, 3girls. It does nothing against onion grass. I just meant that I'm queen of cool garden gadgets over here...

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

from firey-foods.com

Wild Onion Soup (Zuppa di Cipolle Selvatiche)

This is a typical Calabrian dish, but it is also a favorite in some Puglian villages. In Italy, and maybe in some Italian specialty stores in the U.S., the wild onions can be found in jars in oil. They have a very distinctive taste, like (unedible) daffodils, which are botanically a close relative. Most likely though you will have to use scallions.

Ingredients:

14 ounces "Cipuddizze" (wild onions, replace with the white part of scallions)

Olive oil (extra virgin)

1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed

1 quart broth (vegetable preferred)

1 small chile pod, red, hot (Thai , Serrano or Birdseye), seeds and stem removed, chopped

14 ounces grey bread, stale, cubed, fried in a little olive oil

2 ounces Pecorino romano cheese, grated (if unavailable, replace with parmesan)

Salt to taste

Preparation:

Clean and quarter the onions.

In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the garlic until soft.

Add onions, cook for 5 minutes and add broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until soft, about another 5 minutes.

Shortly before the mixture is done, add the chile

In each of four soup bowls, place bread cubes roasted in a little olive oil. Pour the soup over the bread cubes and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Add salt to taste.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Heat Scale: Mild

Thornton, IL

I'm guessing this is the little clumping grass I found at the edges of my newly dug beds this spring, dark green and looks like chives? Only thicker blades. Thanks for the recipe, I knew someone or something must eat it. ;-)

Thanks for the recipe, roxroe!

Prairie, make sure it smells oniony. There are plenty of poisonous bulbs out there. :)

Thornton, IL

Really?! thanks zeppy, guess I'll try it on my husband first.

Excellent idea!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This forum is not all female. You are bad girls! There is so much anger in the feminine thought towards men. We are just thankful to have you in our lives. I guess men are just more loving.

Thornton, IL

Oh, I love him. I just don't want to die.

My dh is a better person than I. No question. 'twas a joke...

Thornton, IL

j/k.

DH does all the cooking.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I know it was a joke but mens liberation is begining and we won't take it anymore! LOL

Thornton, IL

Stand up!

Now, sit down! ROFL.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ruff, ruff, ruff arrrruuuuuaaaaahhh. Wag wag wag.

Thornton, IL

Ruh roh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.