Did Someone Burst My Balloon?

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I ordered both the Double White Platycodon (Balloon Plant) and the Double Lavender Platycodon from 2 different Seller's on E-Bay.
Both germinated YEAH (I can't get anything to grow from seed and I'm VERY excited)!

In comparing the 2, however, I don't think the Double Lavender is actualy Platycodon so I thought I would put it out there to the experts.

To me, the Double Lavender looks like Morning Glory. Can there be such a huge difference is seedlings in the same strain of species?

Here is a picture of the Double White:

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

And now the Double Lavender.

I posted this in the Identification Forum also as it truly has me baffled and a little disappointed.

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Kim, do you remember if the seeds were similar in shape and size? I have just collected some and the only visible difference between doubles, singles, different color Platycodons, is the seed color.

What you have on your picture are Cotyledons, not true leaves. Once these appear, they should look quite similar (serrated borders). Some might be narrower, that's the only difference I have found on the leaves of my Platycodons.

They are really easy to grow from seed and they will probably bloom on the second year. I love them!

Good luck and Happy Spring!

Ursula

Thumbnail by Ursula
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello Ursula,

Shouldn't the Cotyledons be the same since one picture is the double white and the other picture is supposed to be double lavender? I truly think the 2nd photo is a morning glory. It seems to me the seeds were much bigger for the "double lavender" than the double white.

I wrote to the person who sold me the seeds to the double lavender. I sent her the 2 above pictures. She said she contact the supplier of the seeds and they would be sending her more which she would send me.

Checked on her listings today......strange.....all of her listings are GONE! She had 493 "double lavenders" listed and a bunch of other seeds listed yesterday and now all of a sudden they are gone.

Maybe I saved others from disappointment but I was really looking forward to the double lavender :(

Beautiful Axminster by the way. I just started some seeds of those. I think they are marvelous.....jealous here *lol*

Thank you again,
Kim

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Kim, yes, to be honest: the second picture looks like MGs to me as well.

I sincerely hope your Vendor sends you the right seeds. I'm glad she is willing to repair the mistake. You still have time to sow them.

My Platycodons bloomed this year for the first time (it's Fall down here) and I am thrilled! If I only had a garden to plant hundreds of them and not just two balconies!

Happy Gardening!

Ursula

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Looks like some sort of MG to me also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.