Garden Show in DC snowy weekend

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am looking for a planter.

During the DC garden show, there was a booth where they were selling a unique planter. It was three tiers, and could be put together or used seperatedly. I believe that it was made out of some type of vinyl. One of the neat things about it was when you watered the top section, the water would flow down to the other two layers. I thought that it would be perfect for strawberries or flowers.

Unfortunately, I didn't end up getting it because I forgot to go back to the booth before leaving my show. By the time I left, the kids, and husband were whining. When I remembered the next day, Sunday, I couldn't go back because it was the weekend of the big snow storm. I searched the exhibit brochure, but the company name wasn't listed.

I was just looking in the Harris Seed catalog today, and it looks as if they might have something similar to this planter on page 79. I'm just wondering if anyone else attended the show, and perhaps did buy one of these. Or if anyone has experience with the Harris planter.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy...if you find what you're describing please list a link...I would LOVE to get something like that!!!

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

I do know exactly what you mean, but unfortunately we bought ours a couple of years ago at Frank's and they closed both their stores last year. If I see one anywhere, will definitely let you know though. Might try checking Michael's or one of the garden centers.

Don't have the Harris catalog so can't check the picture you mentioned.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

sixrfun,
So wish I had thought of Franks...hmmm, I think they still have one in Manassas...might just pop on by there. They closed ours here like 6 years ago. :(
Chantell

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, Where is Frank's in Manassas? I loved Frank's - maybe there is still hope! The two that closed were in Fairfax & Centreville. Thanks!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is the link for the exhibitor list from the show, maybe a name will ring a bell. I saw those in a catalog somewhere.....
http://www.washingtonhomeandgardenshow.com/exhibitor_list.html

-Kim

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Guys, thanks for your help. I went to the Harris seed website and I think that this is it. Take a look.

If this is the one, the neat thing is you just have to water the top section. I thought is would be perfect for strawberries, since I always seem to run into problems with them.

I may order one this week - unless someone find it at Franks!

http://gardeners.harrisseeds.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=318&product_id=05834%2D826

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Kim,

Thank you for sending the listing of exhibitors. Unfortunately, I still couldn't find it.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes! That is the one I was thinking of - now I know which catalog to look for :)

-Kim

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG I am such an air head...I thought ya'll were talking about a plant stand...I swear by my Walmart pots they only have spring/summer. Bottom of pot reads MISCO - Misco Enterprises. These pots are wonderful....I've got Cacti to Tropicals in them!!! Ok...Franks in Manassas...if you're coming from Old Town...take Church street straight out...pass court house...pass All Saints Church...maybe a mile if that down on left before you pass over rail road tracks. Does that make sense?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Chantell,

I'm confused. Are you saying that you have this pot?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't have THE pot ya'll are referring to...I was making mention of my fav pots that are actually sold at Wally World. Sorry for the confusion...bad enough I do it to myself...LOL I have seen that pot but it was in one of my catalogs...yikes!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Stokes has it! I just bought one! For strawberries! :)
I ordered it through their website.....
www.stokeseeds.com

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

pennefeather -
That's just like the ones I have, except they are green. Sometimes I have to water a little more specifically - meaning that the water doesn't trickle down quite enough to certain pots - but in general has worked well and I like it. If you do get it and do plant the strawberries, let us know how they do - sounds like a great idea!

chantell -
Thanks for the directions - will try to get down there and scope it out sometime next week. Sure hope it's still there as I did like that store!

Carolyn

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Bec_No_Va

That is some planter that Stokes has! It is a lot larger than the one that I was originally looking for, but it looks nice. Please let me know if you like it once you order it. I wanted one for strawberries as well.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey back, I already received it and I like it, just waiting for my plants to come in. It took 3 minutes to assemble and it has a hanging chain that goes through it!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, Are you sure you're talking about Frank's? That location is a Southern States. (A very good one nursery-wise, but not a craft store.)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - I swear I'm losing it...now that I think about...you're probably right. I'm sure it was a Franks at some point. This is the problem when you drive by certain things all the time...you don't pay close attention. My apologies to anyone that I've caused inconvenience to.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

If I'd taken your advice and driven there, Chantell, I definitely wouldn't have come away disappointed. I was just there last week and they had some terrific plants (mostly Monrovia.) I'd have just ended up buying a lot of non-craft things I hadn't intended to buy! :)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mickgene - makes me feel a little better... :( So embarrassing though...sorry again folks!!

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

I'll still be going there this week - SS is a great place & it's on my list of places to go! Plus I know exactly where the SS is. But now I won't be standing there all befuddled - LOL. Thanks for the info.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn...sorry! Telling you...gonna donate my brain to science...I'm "only" 41. Yikes...what will it be like when I'm 61? So sad, I tell you!!

Centreville, VA(Zone 6b)

Chantell - you really don't want to know what 61's like - or 68 like me - ROFLOL - that's why I'm often standing somewhere befuddled! Don't worry - I'll enjoy SS just fine.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

God bless you for understanding, Carolyn. Befuddled? That's my constant state of mind i.e. "why DID I come into this room?" MY grandmother laughs at ME...mercy...what would we do w/o humor?
BTW - what ARE you doing up at 3AM? OMG!!!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2006 8:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.