wood rose

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

Help please
I saw this and i just had to get it. It is the one that has yellow flowers and the seed pod that look like a carved rose.I have had it about 2 weeks and have basically been doing it like my running cypress. But it is looking puny and not growing. It is just a little over7 inches so it is a baby but do they not grow fast. Any suggestions.
Thanks
laylarose

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Laylarose,
I have one that I started this winter from seed..I planted it outside this spring when it was about a foot or so, and now it has climbed about 30 ft. up our radio tower, but no blooms..It just keeps growing & growing..I may have to climb the tower to see a flower, if I have too, I will..LOL
Larkie

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

It sounds wonderful. If either of you take any cuttings, or even at pruning time would you give up some cuttings(unrooted is just fine)I would gladly send postage for as many as anyone wants to send..email me...please

Sandy

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

I'd love a cutting, also...Vines are taking over my brain.lol.

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

LOL from the looks of mine it ain't gonna be no cuttings or anything just sitting there.Larkie what did you do to yours?? Cuz I'm afraid mine is looking like it isn't gonna live.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

And mine is up a radio tower, up over the house..LOL One singe vine..
Larkie

Guess at the end of the season I'll have to climb up there, huh?

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

get the utility truck to come over..ha..ha..wouldn't they just love you
S

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

vines are addictive.lol love to check them to see how far they have gone in a day.
larkie to you use special fertilizer or magic lol or what???
mine said it was indoor plant that just get 4-5 foot tall
please help me larkie
laylarose

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Laylarose,
Only fertilizer's I use is all the manure, straw and hay from rabbit, goat, chicken and duck pens..I clean the large pens out weekly and pile it on the compost or scatter around my beds where needed. My plants wouldn't know commercial fertilizer if they had it..LOL.. This ain't Texas, but things sure do grow big here...

For the winter, I'm just gonna cut the thing off and pot up the roots, and hope for the best..

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi guys. The 'wood rose' is Ipomoea tuberosa/Merremia tuberosa (here we go with the multiple names again!) that I've been told by a collector rarely blooms the first year, so unless you're in a high zone (9 or 10, I believe)you'd best consider it a houseplant. Most members of the Ipomoea family (morning glories, moonvine, sweet potato vine) grow wonderful foliage in rich soil, but don't flower well unless the soil is poor. Same thing with water---don't until the leaves begin to droop. Take all this with a grain or two of salt, since I killed the only one I tried to grow, but if anyone succeeds in getting seeds or rooting cuttings, I'd love to try again. And I PROMISE I will update my trade list just as soon as the new computer is up and running!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I am working hard on getting a grasp on my latin, but it ceratainly will take a little longer than i had hoped. You are right judith about the latin.lately, I am seeing more and more examples of the need to name and discuss plants using their proper names
sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.