Meyer " lemon"

Byron, IL(Zone 4a)

My husband was given one of these a week ago for his birthday, and it was beautiful, set with small fruit. I watered it and in a week it has lost all of its leaves. There were some small bugs when we recieved it. What do you think I could do to save it? Thanks in advance.

Fulton, MO

If your tree lost all of its leaves in a week, something was probably already wrong with it when you got it. Meyers can be temperamental. Could be pests, overwatering, underwatering, light, temperature, or nutrient problems...on the other hand, there is some normal leaf drop around this time of the year (not all the leaves, though).

In order to help, we need a little more information. Did the leaves fall with the petiole (leaf stem) attached or did the the petiole remain on the branch? Normal leaf abscision in citrus will result in the leaves falling with the petiole attached, whereas abnormal leaf drop will leave the petiole attached to the branch. What do the bugs look like? What color are the dropping leaves? If yellow, is there a color pattern? (This could help with identifying nutrient problems.) What sort of light and temperature changes occured? (What growing media is it potted in? Have you examined the root system? SB

Byron, IL(Zone 4a)

Stressbaby you sound far more knowledgeable than I. This is what I can tell you. Yes the petiole remained on the branch. I did not notice what kind of bug. I have no idea what the potting mixture is, but I would guess some kind of commercial blend. The dropping leaves were all green. Only two remain and are kind of yellow spotted. I have not examined the root system. I do not know where it was bought, but I put it where my lime trees are, and they are just fine. In a south window. I live in Northwestern ILL.
Thanks for any help you could give.

Fulton, MO

My guess would be overwatering and root rot. It almost certainly started before you got the plant if the leaves dropped just one week after receiving it. Commercial potting mix can be used for citrus, but you have to be very careful with the watering.

I would pull the plant out and check the roots. If you find rot, then GENTLY wash out any compacted old soil and trim back any bad roots. Spray with a fungicide. Repot in a light, well aerated growing medium. Then keep it warm and on the dryer side. If you grow limes indoors, you understand the nutritional and temp requirements.

If you don't find rot, there are some other possibilities, let us know. SB

Byron, IL(Zone 4a)

Ok so I took it out of the pot tonight and this is what I found. Some what appeared to be red dirt, and red ants a few. Definately root bound by my standards. Broke away the soil teased the roots, and planted in miracle grow potting soil. Watered. Thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted on what happens. I called my daughter in law to tell her about it, but she is in France until the weekend. If I was thinking I would have taken a digital picture to show you. Duh.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

Give it full sun and good drainage. Feed with a citrus food. Give it a little time, as sometimes citrus takes a while to show new growth. Sounds like you've done all you can for now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.