Question for Easter WA. & OR. gardeners

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

I'm replanting my Strawberry beds this spring and I've bought some blueberries and Marion berries as well. I'm considering moving all my berries because there are sandwiched between our garage and shed and don't get enough sunlight. I need to explain our zone. I live in the dessert (Tri-Cities) and our last frost can be as late as the end of May. Then we get only a few weeks before the temps get up in the 100s. I'm trying to learn how to grow berries here so one reason why I've had them in the shade was because of the intensity of the heat. I'm planning on mulching them more so hopefully that will prevent what ususally occures, berries drying on the vine in one day. My hubby doesn't really want me to move the beds and dig up more sod. I will have allot of work to do because I will be digging up my raspberries as well. I was planning on only expecting a fall crop this year from them if I do. If I do move all my berries I might try and grow lettuce and other greens in that bed. Things that don't like the heat so much. What do you think and what advise do you have on growing berries in the heat? Thanks.

Sagewoodfarm

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, 100 degrees in WA state. Who woulda thunk it?

I have blackberries growing wild in my backyard, and they thrive in the 90 degree weather of the summer here. I think maybe you might need some type of shade during the hottest part of the day. Perhaps you can plant them in the sun, and then place something there that can give shade. How about a trellis blocking some of the sun.
Okay I confess, I am a garden novice. Take my advice with a grain of salt. ;)

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Yes Washington, does get hot. We've had 110+ degrees for over a month and ahalf before. Never on the westside like you there in OR. are.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The mulch should work well at retaining moisture and by using black organic soil that retains moisture will help. A soaker hose or 2 set-in. On the hottest days I think its as much the light dry wind as it is the temperature. Would the berry plants benefit from an evergreen hedge that reduces wind and overhead shade? I'd also incorporate peat-moss for acid as Blueberries need and acidic soil.

When I visited BentonCity I remember the dry-hot wind was strong, the ground was dry and gravelly.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I was amazed that you've endured 110 degrees for a sustained time. Hat's off to you! My first thought on the strawberries was to check into shade cloth( as in, is it ever used in your area, is it a really bad idea?!) Some dahlia growers use it to shade their blooms from the harshest summer sun/heat.

I did google "shade cloth for strawberries" but didn't find much helpful. Straw mulch was mentioned over and over again, along with compost rich soil. I always mulch ours with compost when I have it to spare.

You might also read up on the various types of strawberries I think I saw heat tolerant varieties mentioned in one article. That might be good to try too.

Blue berries: lots of compost/peatdug into holes, water thoroughly. I gave mine plenty of coffee grounds on top of their mulch too. I just wish the coffee grounds was the magic ticket to keeping the birds away! They are eating machines and know just when the berries are perfect.

Good luck with your berry endeavors- let us know how it goes.

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

You live in that famous Red Mountain wine country! We have friends who have a winery and orchards in Benton City. She does sometimes complain about only being able to grow Yucca in her yard -LOL.

All of the suggestions above sound right on the money. Planting something to shade your berries and provide a wind block might be more successful as would be the mulching, soil amending and increased water during the heat since the gravelly soil drains quickly. If all else fails, you could just grow grapes.

Best of luck!

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Galega,
Yes, we do hope to grow grapes. Besides making great wine, I've found wine grapes make really good smoothies. They're so intense in flavor compared to table grapes that all you need is about 1/4 c with yogurt and a few other things. I've also heard they make great jelly. Haven't tried that yet. I wonder if your friends live by us? We live right off of Sunset, and there are about 9 wineries down that road. I take my dog for a run down that road.
My son, who is a soil science major at WSU just tested our soil and it has a PH of 7 so I will be adding sulfar and peat to it. Have to run to the nursery to get some now. Thanks for all the advice.

Sagewood

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Their winery is Kiona, and they are on Sunset. Right now they are expanding the winery, so there might be a lot of construction going on. They are the greatest people - you should go by and meet them! Excellent wines, too. If you go say "Hi" to John, Ann, Scott and Vivacious Vicky from their ski patrol friends in Olympia.

I've never even thought of a grape smoothie - that sounds really good. I am going to try it since we have a new blender that actually works. My grapes don't grow very well over here, but that's because I am impatient and I expect immediate results after only 2 years.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sage, I live in Tonasket, over by the BC border. We get in the hundreds but not for long periods like over there. Our wind drys things so fast. I grow strawberries and rasberries. I mulch heavy with straw and lots of grass clippings. Shade gardens are very limeted here altho my Auzzie trees are now big enough they are helping a LOT! I water lots, like 12 hrs at a time at night or very early in the morning so things are watered deep. Good luck and keep us posted. Debbie

West Richland, WA(Zone 7a)

I too live in the Tri-Cities and have seen very little berries grown here. Even our fantastic famer's market rarely has berries for sale and when they do wow, they can break the bank. I assumed it was too hot here for blackberries of most varieties (oh, I love marionberries!) and raspberries. They grow like weeds on the other side. The summers here is what throws me for a loop in the gardening arena. It is so hot during the day and cools off so much at night. Sometimes, what, up to a forty degree difference? Good luck with the berries and I would love to know how successful you were! Keep us posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.