Spring bulb pics and talk: Part V

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are the flowers that are blooming right now!I can't wait for my other flowers to spring up..

Thumbnail by hyacynthblue2
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't remember planting this in this pot. I think it is a day lily?It opened last week and more came up this week.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Ok this is my Last photo I don't want to be annoying. I just started gardening last year and am just happy that I haven't killed anything .LOL

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hyacynth your yellow one is a freesia, does it have a scent? Very pretty! The agapanthus still has it's old flower heads on, cut those off after flowering. I'm not sure if this will make a difference with agapanthus, but many plants when allowed to seed don't think they need to flower and reproduce again. You do have some others I see, but they may just not be mature enough.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

hyacynth, love your big red Snapdragons! They're some of my favorites.

Don't worry McGlory ~ it's the only thing I have blooming.

wallaby, your suggestion of Margeurite is quite close but no gold edge that I can appreciate. I did find pic of Ida that looks very similar, though it's difficult to be certain. Scroll down to bottom 1/3 of the page. http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/DwarfIris.html

Denver, CO

On top of it, I'll bet that they are condition-morhpolological -changing a a bit planted from one place to another.
It sure is a beauty.

HyacinthBlue, welcome to the parade. that Freesia is to die for. I guess I'm about to get annoying!
:

Tulipa Zurel in my Rock-heated microclimate Gardenlet:

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

The grand Dracunculus therein:

Denver, CO

Narc. Spellbinder.
Unfortunately, as the white truly began to show in them, it rained and forced the blooms to the ground. But I'm not going to dare complain about a nice, warm, all-night rain!

Denver, CO

Good ol' Puschkinia. They naturalize so well. They get mulitple stems and last a long time. Last year, I ahd them blooming in late April yet. Here is what one bulb planted in fall 2004 looks like:

Denver, CO

Arum italicum...

Denver, CO

A note on the above: The Eranthis are E. cilicica. Sold to me by John Scheeper's as E. hyemalis. I only had one E. hyemalis in the bunch. Not bad, though, I liked the E. cilicica and their ferny foliage and reddish tint.

Scilla siberica 'Spring Beauty' is indeed better than the original species I have elsewhere. 100 was not enough. I think I'm going to carefully move some closer together today:

Denver, CO

Fritillaria assyriaca, once known as F. uva-vulpis. Both are good names for what can also be called "Foxgrapes." This is the first of many. These divide like mad.

Denver, CO

-

Denver, CO

Frit. verticillata.

Fancy thing.

Denver, CO

It's spring, my friends.
K. James

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Gemini, vossner - I was thinking my daffs were almost done but now I see buds everywhere again - Avalons and Sir Winston Churchills I think.

I love the red snapdragons too! I never got the ones I planted to do too well though - and usually I am good with plants.

More Dutch Iris opening up everywhere

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My Abalone Pearl peonies are blooming!! They didn't bloom at all last year (whichy was the first spring for them, but I got a couple of flowers this year just today.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Denver, CO

Lovely Iris, Steve.

Whoah. What could be more bizarra than Brent & Becky's Fall catalogue being online already?
Gads. The trouble never ends:
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another shot

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Well thank you James.

More tulips...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another kind of Dutch Iris - I got Sapphire Beauty, Sky Beaty, and then Acapulco from B&B several years ago - I think this is the last variety

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Snowflakes

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I got this "Miss Kim" lilac from Wayside last year - and looks like I am going to have flowers!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

My Tree Peony "High Noon" from Paradise Gardens produced two flowers last year and looks like three coming this year! I planted two falls ago.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sir Winstons and Dutch Iris.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh Moonglow what you saw on the right side of the one pic were Hollyhock leaves. I planted a few seeds five years ago and I have been inundated with the things ever since. They self-seed and spread all over the place. I am seeing flowerbud formation too!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Denver, CO

You must promise to post a picture of 'High Noon' (Doesn't it have a different, Asian name, too?) when it blooms, Steve. Tree peopnies have some sort of unique glory.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Wallaby,Moby James,

The Fresia does not have a scent wallaby,but the pink jasmine smells so strong I can't smell anyhting else.I love the primrose!I will cut off the brown on the agapanthus and see what happens

I am a scilla fanatic too! Steve what is in the foreground of the lilium? Love the colors.I want my yard to pop.We are hosting two family reunions this year yikes!

Denver, CO

You have there a Muscari armeniacum if I'm not mistaken.
Non-fragrant Freesia? A Hybridizer travesty.
Let's hope your Agapanthus suprise you.

I just found a new scilloid in the garden today: a white form of Puschkinia.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks hyaciynth - which picture do you mean?

BTW I don't think your yellow flowers are Freesias, as Freesias have a very strong scent and smell kind of like Froot Loops (though I agree they do look like Freesias). Plus, Freesias have long daffodil-like leaves and those leaves are different.

Denver, CO

I thought Freesias had pointed, Gladiolus-like leaves, being in family Iridaceae. I have encountered red Freesias with little or no fragrance. Terrible thing that.
Perhaps we can request another picture at a different angle, H-Blue?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Steve,

I really have no idea what the yellow flowers are either.If it is freesia I am also upset that there is no scent.They are everywhere and I don't know what they are.
I was referring to your photo on March 29th with your comment "Here come the liliums in the backround" What is in front ?I want those!!

I love all of your photos.I am new to gardening I am addicted to it now! I have some scilla peruviana that arrived today.I am not sure when or where to plant them.It has been raining in my area for many days.I managed to run out between rain showers and saw the muscari.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes James maybe glad-like leaves is a better description - same general shape was what I meant to say :-)

Ohhh hyacynth those are Sweet William (Dianthus). I just throw down the seeds in the fall and in the spring they bloom prolifically. You are right they are VERY showy!

Corte Madera, CA

steve, really love the foliage - - - but they can be out of control? i bet the flowers are gorgeous.

it's still raining here and no fun to take photos...record-breaking rain. 24 days in march, and more rain tomorrow and friday!

thank you for all the photos. sure brightens this gloomy weather.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I was greeted with lovely, almost iridescent, chionodoxa today!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Corte Madera, CA

(oh, brain not working. tomorrow IS friday).

i love that color, kylee.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

And the funny thing is, I have just one of these blooming in another flower bed...the same one that the prodigal crocus showed up in by surprise. I haven't had chionodoxa in YEARS. What I think happened is when I redid that bed last fall, and worked up the soil, there were bulbs lying WAY down that were dormant somehow and got brought to the surface. I can't figure out how these things have suddenly shown up like this other than this.

Here's the 'surprise' one...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Denver, CO

Funny, the same thing happened to me-
here... and there...
Seed, perhaps?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yegads, there's so much I'll just say Brilliant!

I have had some freesias off and on in a greenhouse, and I think it was only one colour that I could detect a scent. Being outside, and with a strongly scented plant nearby will confuse. Some people have different scent detectors, my neighbour couldn't smell a strong scent of a rose where I could. He can smell the freesia when I can't.

There is a strap shaped leaf near the flower stem of the freesia. Steve were you looking at those geranium leaves? I don't see that it can be any other flower, it even leans like a freesia.

Yes Kenton you are getting annoying! Dracunculus annoying!

I saved a bumblebee today, I took some pics of it a few days ago, it was just bumbling in and out of crocus for ages. When enlarged I saw lots of buggy things around its head, I was so distressed I wiped them all. I saw it for a couple of days still bumbling around, not being able to fly. Today I saw it again in the remains of crocus, and hundreds of mites were crawling around its body. They were everywhere, disappearing into its long hair, around its 'chest', all around its head, under its 'jaws', around its back under its wings. I couldn't see it suffer, so I devised a way of holding it down with a curled up soft leaf, like a cigar shape, and had a thin rigid stick to poke at the mites.

Can you all just picture me, on my elbows and knees on the lawn for 1.5 hours, rolling a bumble bee around! Every time I got some to 'come out' I gave a good blow, flipped the BB away and continued. Can you imagine tipping it on it's head and lifting its wings, scraping mites from its waist and back? Poking them from around its head, its legs, under its pincers tipping its head back to dig them out?

At the end of all this it let me stroke it, it had stopped lifting its legs out in defense, it exercised its wings and cleaned its feelers. I took it and put it on an anemone blanda, later moved it to another lot on the bank so it wasn't in the wind. Later in the day I saw it on Narcissus jetfire, looked across to see if it had gone from the anemone, when I looked back it was gone. It could fly! I feel so emotional!

Kb that is such a gorgeous blue, now I'll have to get some of those too! I think some bulbs go dormant for a while and come back when conditions suit them.

Hers my little friend

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Corte Madera, CA

=) pretty little friend, janet.

waiting for van engelen to start taking orders. when does that usually happen? haven't ordered from them yet....

browsing brent & becky's too.

(sigh). this weather sucks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.